Moving from linux to FreeNAS - need build/storage advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

dedeaux

Dabbler
Hey Folks!

I have been using linux to run a media server for a while, but I am impressed with FreeNAS and want to build a server.

I need some recommendations on storage. I have a stack of parts, including HDDs that I would like to use to build the server.

My main goal for this setup is to provide access to my media for the whole family, and maybe provide simple file sharing in a mixed Apple/Microsoft/Android environment.

I have the following components -- I have some used and then some newly purchased

Supermicro X10SLM+F-O, 32gb Crucial ECC RAM, E3-1231V3

PSUs - I have two good PSUs on hand, and really don't want to go for another one, but will if absolutely necessary -- a 430w and a 550W.

I have a good Rosewill case, so I am set -- able to expand to 10 drives if necessary.

For storage... It's really a random mix of drives...

32GB Supermicro SATADOM

2x Toshiba PH3500U 5TB
1x Seagate 4TB
3x WD Green 2TB

So, after all this... Can I use these parts to begin a build for media storage/serving and also filesharing using FreeNAS, or do I need to go another route?

mattbbpl

Patron
Your drive situation carries with it a few downsides/extra work.

You're going to be losing several terabytes of space, as your higher capacity drives will essentially be used as 2TB drives in a RaidZx scenario. You could mitigate this somewhat by pairing them up in mirrors, but then you'll be losing capacity in other ways (more drives will be lost to parity).

Greens will park aggressively, and thus incur some extra wear and tear in a NAS situation. You can alleviate this situation by configuring them with the WDIdle command.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Your drive situation carries with it a few downsides/extra work.

You're going to be losing several terabytes of space, as your higher capacity drives will essentially be used as 2TB drives in a RaidZx scenario. You could mitigate this somewhat by pairing them up in mirrors, but then you'll be losing capacity in other ways (more drives will be lost to parity).

Greens will park aggressively, and thus incur some extra wear and tear in a NAS situation. You can alleviate this situation by configuring them with the WDIdle command.
Pretty much sums it up.

Hardware looks good, though.

In your position, if you're okay with a lot of "wasted" space to start with, I'd RAIDZ2 everything together and then gradually replace the smaller drives over time.

dedeaux

Dabbler
Thanks for the input. The two 5TB drives are new -- along with SATA DOM. Would it be advisable to scrap the older drives -- or use them elsewhere? Say add a couple or more 5TB drives?

mattbbpl

Patron
Thanks for the input. The two 5TB drives are new -- along with SATA DOM. Would it be advisable to scrap the older drives -- or use them elsewhere? Say add a couple or more 5TB drives?
Eric's proposal is sound. If you only need the 2TBx6 capacity now, you might as well save the money and then upgrade the others when necessary. If you need capacity over that amount, then I'd buy new replacements now.

dedeaux

Dabbler
Cool... Thanks for the input. It'll be a little while before I throw the system together as I am moving overseas and will need to get things settled. I am sure I will find my way back to this forum for help along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.