Moving to FreeNAS but need support

Status
Not open for further replies.

VioletDragon

Patron
Hi. I'm new. So I'm planning on moving to FreeNAS currently I'm using OSX Server but having problems. So here's where I need some advice.

As I'm a Mac User and a Linux User I also use Windows every now and then. My problem is that with Windows and Linux I have problems with connecting etc. So I'm wondering what is the best sharing protocol to use in FreeNAS? And I'm planning on going with RAIDZ2 this NAS is going to have a total of 9TB I want it to be accessible in OS X, Linux and Windows.

Now for the RAID question. I'm planning on going with RAIDZ2 as I believe that if one or two drives crash I'll still have my Storage? Would I be able to add Drives to that at later date?

Hardware I'm working with.
H97N-WIFI
Core i3 4360
8GB DDR 3 1600Mhz
3x Seagate NAS Drives.

Thank you.

Jack.

Last edited by a moderator:

nojohnny101

Wizard
If you want access from all those systems, you should use the SMB sharing protocol.

Now for the RAID question. I'm planning on going with RAIDZ2 as I believe that if one or two drives crash I'll still have my Storage?
Correct. You can have any two drives fail in a vdev and your data will remain safe.

Would I be able to add Drives to that at later date?
Once you create a pool, the only way you can add drives is by adding vdevs. Your pool is only as redundant as the least lowers level of redundancy of any given vdev.

I suggest you go through this powerpoint:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Asking multiple questions in a single thread usually does not get the best results. Better to ask individual questions in a single thread with a thread title that clearly lists the question.

Most others have explained the details about RAIDZ2 here.

As far as sharing protocols, I'd say use NFS when possible, use SMB for the platforms that require it, and avoid AFP.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Thanks @MrToddsFriends, I missed that there were only 3 disks in the system.

VioletDragon

Patron
Thanks for your replies guys. Im in the middle of backing everything up before changing to FreeNAS. when adding more drives will i need to change anything with the pool or will it rebuild itself?

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Thanks for your replies guys. Im in the middle of backing everything up before changing to FreeNAS. when adding more drives will i need to change anything with the pool or will it rebuild itself?

You should read the noob slideshow before planning to migrate to FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.