Moving all Disks to HBA LSI Card from onboard SATA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VioletDragon

Patron
Howdy folks.

I've recently bought a Dell H310 LSI card which is in IT mode. I'm planning on moving all of my 4x 3TB Disks to the LSI card. However I have all my DATA on the disks. Will ZFS rebuild the pool or will I have to start from fresh? I want my SSD for FreeNAS to remain on onboard SATA as well as the Plex transcoding SSD.

All storage will be on the LSI Card.

Thank you.

Jack.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zredwire

Explorer
You should not have to rebuild anything. Freenas will read the disk on bootup and import the pool like always.

Green750one

Dabbler
Just plug it in, plug the disks in - in any order - and fire it up. FreeNAS/ZFS will sort everything out. How do I know? Because I just did the very same thing.

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

VioletDragon

Patron
You should not have to rebuild anything. FreeNAS will read the disk on bootup and import the pool like always.

Just plug it in, plug the disks in - in any order - and fire it up. Freenas/ZFS will sort everything out. How do I know? Because u just did the very same thing.

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys for your reply. Another quick question. I was backing up all my DATA to my Offline backup Server and FreeNAS emailed me about a error on the boot volume. Any ideas on this error? I'm not exactly sure what happened but I'm currently booting FreeNAS from the bootstick. Now the question is if I create a new backup file will this error still remain if I reinstall or can it be fixed without reinstalling?

The error is
Code:
errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:

freenas-boot/ROOT/11.1-RELEASE:<0x205de>
		freenas-boot/ROOT/11.1-RELEASE:<0x205df>

Screenshot from 2018-01-23 19-46-09.png

danb35

Hall of Famer
Now the question is if i create a new Backup file will this error still remain if i reinstall or can it be fixed without reinstalling?
This is indicating an error in the metadata of your boot pool. Reinstall, ideally to a small SSD rather than to a USB stick.

BTW, your server_pool is three disks in RAIDZ1, striped with a single disk. This is a Very Bad Thing (tm)--ifwhen that single disk fails, you'll lose everything in your pool.

VioletDragon

Patron
This is indicating an error in the metadata of your boot pool. Reinstall, ideally to a small SSD rather than to a USB stick.

BTW, your server_pool is three disks in RAIDZ1, striped with a single disk. This is a Very Bad Thing (tm)--ifwhen that single disk fails, you'll lose everything in your pool.

Yeah I think that's the best thing.

The 4th disk is what I added today. How exactly do I add it to the existing pool? I may start over again tbh.

danb35

Hall of Famer
How exactly do i add it to the existing Pool?
It is part of the existing pool, but it isn't part of the RAID set (vdev), and there's no way to add it to the existing vdev. You'd need to back up your data, destroy the pool, rebuild it with all four disks, and restore.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Since you need to rebuild the pool and restore your data, you might want to take the opportunity to add a couple more disks.

VioletDragon

Patron
Since you need to rebuild the pool and restore your data, you might want to take the opportunity to add a couple more disks.

Im only having 4 Disks for now until I run out of space. It'll last me a good few years yet.

Thanks guys :)

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Im only having 4 Disks for now until i run out of space. Itll last me a good few years yet.

Thanks guys :)
Even if you don't want to rebuild the array with more disks, like @danb35 said, you still need to rebuild the pool because that one disk was added in such a way that a single disk failure could take your pool out. You can't add a single disk like you did and maintain any redundancy.

VioletDragon

Patron
Even if you don't want to rebuild the array with more disks, like @danb35 said, you still need to rebuild the pool because that one disk was added in such a way that a single disk failure could take your pool out. You can't add a single disk like you did and maintain any redundancy.

I've done a fresh install of FreeNAS installed to a SSD. However how come isn't there an option for RAIDZ1 or Z2 when I have 4 disks?

Screenshot from 2018-01-23 23-25-38.png

danb35

Hall of Famer
Ive done a Fresh Install of FreeNAS installed to a SSD. However how come isnt there an option for RAIDZ1 or Z2 when i have 4 Disks?
Because you've dragged the slider to two rows. Drag it to one row with four columns/cells and you'll see the RAIDZn options.

VioletDragon

Patron
Because you've dragged the slider to two rows. Drag it to one row with four columns/cells and you'll see the RAIDZn options.

Damn. You my friend are awesome cheers. I didn't think about that. I'm currently doing a full wipe of all the disks right now then I'll create the pool.

Thank you for your help :D

VioletDragon

Patron
Hey guys im back. After rebuilding the ZFS Tank and restoring all of my DATA its all up and running. One more question tho. For future upgrades i.e Adding more disks is there anyway to add those as another RAID so all the DATA are on the old disks and new disks? Or will i have to destroy the Tank and Start Fresh? I have 12TBs which will last me a good while a few years should i say.

One more Question. is there a limit to how many LSI cards you have in one machine? Ive seen some posts that you can only have one card? Im not too worried about that as i can add another 4 disks to the LSI Card and theres 3 SATA Ports on the Motherboard spare. But i wont be upgrading for awhile yet tho. But i will be working on a backup server for now.

Screenshot from 2018-01-24 13-52-56.png

Thanks for your help tho guys :D FreeNAS Boot drive is now on a SSD which is internal.

All the best.

danb35

Hall of Famer
is there anyway to add those as another RAID so all the DATA are on the old disks and new disks?
Of course there is. Go to the Volume Manager, select your existing pool (tank) under the "Pool to Extend" drop-down, select your four new disks, and select RAIDZ1 as the configuration. They'll be partitioned, formatted, and added to the pool.
is there a limit to how many LSI cards you have in one machine?
Not that I've ever heard, but if you exceed the capacity of the one card you might want to look into a SAS expander instead.

VioletDragon

Patron
Of course there is. Go to the Volume Manager, select your existing pool (tank) under the "Pool to Extend" drop-down, select your four new disks, and select RAIDZ1 as the configuration. They'll be partitioned, formatted, and added to the pool.

Not that I've ever heard, but if you exceed the capacity of the one card you might want to look into a SAS expander instead.

Thats awesome cheers danb35.3713. I think i understand now. So it has to be 4 new Disks in order to add it to the existing tank. Orignally i thought i could just add one drive to the existing tank. Personally what i will end up doing if i run out of storage ill buy 4 Disks at the same time.

danb35

Hall of Famer
So it has to be 4 new Disks in order to add it to the existing tank.
It doesn't have to be four, but it does have to be enough to be its own redundant set. So if you want the new set to be in RAIDZ1, it has to have at least three new disks. It's recommended to keep the vdevs the same size, though. There is a project in progress that would allow you to add individual disks to your RAID set (to, for example, turn your four-disk RAIDZ1 into a five-disk RAIDZ1), but I'd estimate we're at least two years from seeing that feature in FreeNAS.

Please RTFM and @cyberjock's guide--ZFS is a great, powerful, and wonderful thing, but it's possible to shoot yourself in the foot pretty badly with it too.

VioletDragon

Patron
It doesn't have to be four, but it does have to be enough to be its own redundant set. So if you want the new set to be in RAIDZ1, it has to have at least three new disks. It's recommended to keep the vdevs the same size, though. There is a project in progress that would allow you to add individual disks to your RAID set (to, for example, turn your four-disk RAIDZ1 into a five-disk RAIDZ1), but I'd estimate we're at least two years from seeing that feature in FreeNAS.

Please RTFM and @cyberjock's guide--ZFS is a great, powerful, and wonderful thing, but it's possible to shoot yourself in the foot pretty badly with it too.

Oh i see thats sweet you learn something new everyday :D. I will take a look at the Guide.

Quick Question one thing im not sure about is SnapShots & Scrubs. Do you need Scrubs for your Boot drive also? Could you tell me if i have this setup correct?

Screenshot from 2018-01-24 14-27-19.png
Screenshot from 2018-01-24 14-28-21.png

danb35

Hall of Famer
Do you need Scrubs for your Boot drive also?
You should, but they're scheduled on the System -> Boot screen. Looks like you have a scrub scheduled for tank at 0200 on the 1st and 16th of each month.

VioletDragon

Patron
You should, but they're scheduled on the System -> Boot screen. Looks like you have a scrub scheduled for tank at 0200 on the 1st and 16th of each month.

Okay sweet. From what ive been reading in the FreeNAS Guide its seems to be a good idea to have scrubs more regular.

Got the best Storage device I have ever had can't believe FreeNAS is free same with my router also pfSense. Free Source is pretty good :) Thanks to all the devs :D

Status
Not open for further replies.