Move a zvol and add a vdev

ynk1121

Dabbler
I hope I have all the terminology correct here. . I haven't been using Truenas long and it's a little confusing.

I have a Dell R720XD with 14 drive bays.

2 rear drives have Truenas installed mirrored.

6 front drives are setup in Z2 for general network storage.

2 front drives are mirrored for a Windows VM.

4 front drive bays are unoccupied.

I am looking to increase my storage space. After a lot of searching and reading I think my best option is move the Windows VM ZVOL to the 6 drive Z2 pool. That will allow me to eliminate the mirror to get 6 drive bays free. I will then add 6 new drives to create another Z2 VDEV and add it to the pool.

Is there anything wrong with this plan? Can this all be done in the GUI? When I search about moving a ZVOL all I get are commands.

Etorix

Wizard
The plan should work. Terminology is correct, but missing on the words "pool" and "dataset".
Drives go in vdevs; vdevs go in pools. This is the hardware part. The storage space on this hardware is organised in datasets.

You have:
A boot pool with 2 drives in a mirror vdev. (Not relevant here.)
A first data pool with 6 drives in a single raidz2 vdev.
Another data pool with 2 drives in a mirror vdev. This pool contains a dataset of type 'zvol' for a VM.

To migrate:
Create a zvol dataset in the raidz2 pool.
Replicate the existing zvol VM to the new zvol. This can be done in GUI with a (non-recurring) replication task.
Export the mirror pool; remove the drives.
Add new drives; create a new raidz2 vdev and add it to the exiting pool.

ynk1121

Dabbler
Thank you for the quick and in depth reply! I created a zvol dataset in the raidz2 pool. I then tried to create a replication task and hit a snag. I don't have a snapshot created for the zvol VM and there isn't enough room to make one.

I was thinking to temporarily add the new drives to the pool that contains the zvol vm so that I can create a snapshot to then move it? Is there an easier or better way or is that my best path?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 86

Etorix

Wizard
See how it goes here: