Mounting NTFS disks and making them accessible over a network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thiago.ttc

Cadet
Hello everyone!

I would like to know if anyone here would be able to help me with this situation!

I am in need to attach an USB drive into the NAS Server to be able to copy the data from NAS to the USB drive faster than having to copy it via network to a computer using Windows OS, so the drive must be as NTFS.

I have tried some scripts, but the NAS keeps crashing.

If anyone can help with that, that would be wonderful!

Thanks anyway!

danb35

Hall of Famer
The problem described in the subject, and the problem described in the text of your post, are two completely different things. The issue in the subject is simply not possible with FreeNAS. The issue you describe in the body of your message might be possible--my memory was that NTFS support in FreeBSD was read-only, but I'm not seeing that indicated in what I'm finding with a web search. This might help.

How much time have you already spent trying to make this work? How long would it take to simply copy the data over the network?

Thiago.ttc

Cadet
The problem described in the subject, and the problem described in the text of your post, are two completely different things. The issue in the subject is simply not possible with FreeNAS. The issue you describe in the body of your message might be possible--my memory was that NTFS support in FreeBSD was read-only, but I'm not seeing that indicated in what I'm finding with a web search. This might help.

How much time have you already spent trying to make this work? How long would it take to simply copy the data over the network?

Hi danb35!

Thank you for your time to answer my question and I'm sorry for the confusion.

So, I have spent more than a month, I would say, looking for solution, trying codes, reinstalling system...etc...

The problem is that the data on the NAS is more than 4TB, so, it is taking too long, almost a week to transfer everything, as it needs to go to a Windows PC and than transferred to an USB Portable drive. It would be way faster using a device which has support for USB 3.0, or even 2.0.

I will try the link that you have sent me. I hope it can be done, otherwise, I will might need to use a Windows server, which I don't want.

Thank you once again!

garm

Wizard
A week is less then a month.. but what’s your setup? 4 TB / 1 Gbps is just over 8 hours, 3 1/2 days on 100 Mbps. If you have a 10 Mbps network then maybe having a NAS isn’t a good idea?

Thiago.ttc

Cadet
A week is less then a month.. but what’s your setup? 4 TB / 1 Gbps is just over 8 hours, 3 1/2 days on 100 Mbps. If you have a 10 Mbps network then maybe having a NAS isn’t a good idea?

Hi garm.

My setup is 1Gbps. I just wanted to get it transferred in less time, as waiting for 8 hours, would be a problem, I would say.

Thanks

danb35

Hall of Famer
I just wanted to get it transferred in less time
Well, USB 2 is half the bandwidth of gigabit ethernet, so...

Historically, NTFS support has been read-only for FreeBSD and for Linux. If that's still the case, then you're just SOL. However, my recent searching is far from clear that it's still the case. Is there a reason you can't use FAT32 instead?

Thiago.ttc

Cadet
Well, USB 2 is half the bandwidth of gigabit ethernet, so...

Historically, NTFS support has been read-only for FreeBSD and for Linux. If that's still the case, then you're just SOL. However, my recent searching is far from clear that it's still the case. Is there a reason you can't use FAT32 instead?

Hi!!

If it still the case, well I could try with fat32. As far as I know there is no reason for not using fat32.
How about the link you provided me? Is that only for reading?
Says:
“Now we are ready to mount it:
-o ro makes sure it's mounted read-only. You can remove it to mount it read-write”

Note: I haven’t tried it yet.

Anyway, if there is a way to use as fat32, it could be also done, I believe.

Did you find how to do it?

Thanks !

danb35

Hall of Famer
How about the link you provided me? Is that only for reading?
I can't vouch for it one way or the other; it's just one of the first few hits on a web search for "ntfs freebsd". It certainly sounds like that's saying you should have read/write support, but again, I haven't tried.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Once again, overengineering has claimed a victim. Only you can prevent this terrible disease. Know when to spend time trying to make things go faster.+

My setup is 1Gbps. I just wanted to get it transferred in less time, as waiting for 8 hours, would be a problem, I would say.
How is it a problem? Start the process and go to bed. By the time you wake up, get dressed, have breakfast, brush your teeth and perform any daily rituals you might have in the morning, it'll be ready. It could've been ready a month ago!

Status
Not open for further replies.