Mounting CIFS in linux as guest

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapwood

Dabbler
I've configured everything under the sun for guest access to a single CIFS share. It works in Windows, and I can browse and change from any computer. When mounting in linux it is giving me an error 13 permission denied.

I can see that I'm coming in as guest, and right now for the CIFS share I have my volume permissions as Owner(user):nobody and Owner(group):nogroup with read/write access for owner, group, and other. I have a guest account made (ID of 31 if that matters) and the guest is part of the nogroup part. I've also tried guest as the owner of everything with permissions on the volume and the share.

The options set on the CIFS share are allow guest access, browsable to network clients, and only allow guest access. The service itself has had guest and nobody as the guest account with no success. Allow empty passwords is also added.

Basically I'm just trying to get a unified access point free of permissions. Is there something I'm missing from the setup? Is there an easier way or a tutorial someone can refer me to? Any help would be appreciated! Also, more information is always available.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Moving this to Off-Topic since this is not a question for FreeNAS but for Linux sharing...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Then why is this thread in here? I went through the suggested threads and they all lead to Sharing...

http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?12740-Permission-Denied-when-mounting-cifs-share-under-linux

It should have been moved too. I don't catch them all and its not a personal attack on you. I've made several threads in the Off-Topic section and always gotten an answer so don't think that being in Off-Topic you won't get an answer. The senior posters look at all the new threads regularly :)

sapwood

Dabbler
It should have been moved too. I don't catch them all and its not a personal attack on you. I've made several threads in the Off-Topic section and always gotten an answer so don't think that being in Off-Topic you won't get an answer. The senior posters look at all the new threads regularly :)

In that case it makes sense :D Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

guest access doesnt require a login

say I was trying to run a mount command... mount -t //[servername]/share /local/folder

I normally get a warning that i'm missing -o and any kind of login parameters. When I use -o guest with no password it fails on access denied as well. This is all while the windows shares are working perfectly when connecting without any credentials. Am I just formatting the mount command wrong?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
mount -t cifs //server-name/share-name /mnt/path

should be all you need

i dont use any kind of authorization on my FreeNAS boxes, they are just restricted to my main VLAN, so any of the computers in my main VLAN can connect without any login required. no need for a guest account at all

sapwood

Dabbler
mount -t cifs //server-name/share-name /mnt/path

should be all you need

i dont use any kind of authorization on my FreeNAS boxes, they are just restricted to my main VLAN, so any of the computers in my main VLAN can connect without any login required. no need for a guest account at all

That is exactly what I'm looking for, but that command prompts for a password. I just hit enter and it gives access denied. From the man page for mount.cifs the guest option just makes it so there is no password. I add the -o guest as the only option and then it gives access denied. How did you go about setting up the access the the share and volume? Was it just a tutorial on here that you could link me to?

sapwood

Dabbler
I want to murder something. I had the CIFS authentication mode in anonymous rather than local user. Changed that to local user and it went right away.

Time to figure out what anonymous really does... I've used the windows account anonymous for NFS sharing to linux machines, but apparently the authentication model must be completely different. Thanks for the replies guys!

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I'm using anonymous....and it works exactly like I said.

my CIFS shares are very simple configuration, not sure what problems you are having but i have mac, linux, and windows machines in my house all using the CIFS with zero accounts configured.

james3

Cadet
I want to murder something. I had the CIFS authentication mode in anonymous rather than local user. Changed that to local user and it went right away.

Time to figure out what anonymous really does... I've used the windows account anonymous for NFS sharing to linux machines, but apparently the authentication model must be completely different. Thanks for the replies guys!

Hey I am in your exact situation but I didn't understood how did you fixed it here is my fstab entry, please can you help me ?

//192.168.1.1/SEAGATE_750GB_NAS /media/alex/SEAGATE_750GB_NAS cifs guest,rw,iocharset=utf8,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0

Status
Not open for further replies.