Mounting/adding a Synology network folder to use on Jellyfin

savas

Cadet
Hello

I've just installed TrueNAS on my first custom system, previously using a d-link dns-325 (served me well) and then a Synology Diskstation DS413j (which I got second hand, but regret even bothering with big time).

I've installed Jellyfin and I do plan on moving all my drives/data to TrueNAS, however it's not a process I want to rush. After installing Jellyfin app I noticed that it allows to add a media library to be added via Shared network folder:

1712063466617.png

If this folder is shared on your network, supplying the network share path can allow clients on other devices to access media files directly. For example, \\server or \\192.168.1.101.

I've tried adding the network folder as my Synology (lets say \\192.168.1.100\volume2) then on the above folder I added the directory I'd like to share, for example "Movies", however I'm unable to connect. Jellyfin stating

The path could not be found. Please ensure the path is valid and try again.

After some searching I tried enabling NFS with NFSv4 support on Synology and gave permission for the IP of TrueNAS to access the volume, assuming there's a permission issue. Still no luck with that..

After reading further I'm under the impression I need to mount the Synology folder to TrueNAS for it to gain access? Is this correct? If so, how do I go about doing this, as the posts I've been reading is dated some years ago and I'm not sure if it's still the correct way to go about doing this.