Mounting a Windows 2012R2 share in FreeNAS

DAXQ

Contributor
Like to get the Windows servers out - if I was keeping the windows servers, and the licensing and cals blah blah blah, then may as well just use robocopy, or script it in powershell, maybe even the Window Linux Subshell or whatever its called. The idea (for me anyway) is to allow the users the comfort they are used to (namely windows - as I believe 100% of what goes on min my environment could really be done in a pure Linux - the users do not and have much FUD) butI can easily (or so I thought) remove the back-end infrastructure that is no longer needed (never really was needed) in my small environment.

None of this was discussed - I know - as I was just asking how to mount a CIFS share here in 2020 from FreeNAS where I find it is still a very necessary need in IT. Unfortunately I am apparently the only old dog out there that seems to think that. I also would rather not install anything on those Windows desktops (like a backup utility or something push the backup) - more used to pulling the data from those clients - again without interrupting them or them even needing to know. They just know if they get something messed up, to come see me. Also i'm trying to get it all to a FreeNAS box where I can then snapshot the pools, replicate between boxes for redundancy, and even send it offsite to another box. Other products like Synology, QNAP, and many others build in this ability (I would bet via CIFS) to grab data from your clients without having to install anything on the box. Also went down the road of roaming profiles, and storing user data directly on the NAS, more work than it was worth to keep alive IMHO. Sorry to go on, but it really does blow my mind that something as simple, very in use everywhere, and needed in this industry has not been touched in FreeBSD since 2011, with many, many posts asking the same thing. Just odd - almost a "were just not doing it anymore" - so they should say just that.