Mount network drive via FreeNAS Shell? (for use with plugin jail)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssgoku129

Dabbler
Hi guys, I've searched everywhere for an answer to this problem, it should be a fairly simple task I'd think:

I have an IPsec Site-to-site tunnel setup with a friend, if I goto \\172.16.0.35\Media and enter my credentials, I can access his FreeNAS.

so I've tried the following command in FreeNAS' shell:

mount_smbfs -I mybuddysnetwork.ca //ssgoku129@172.16.0.35/Media /mnt/RAIDZ2/MsNAS
password:

but I keep getting the following error:

mount_smbfs: unable to open connection: syserr = Operation timed out

I can ping his machine from the shell, I just can't mount it... any ideas?

If I can mount his share in FreeNAS, I intend to use the share in my Plex plugin jail so that I can have his media library alongside my own...

ssgoku129

Dabbler
Nope, you trying the same thing... or?

What I'm doing in the meantime is using a VM on my ESXi, running a secondary server, kind of tedious and the CPU isn't as great for transcoding but it'll do for now...

andyclimb

Contributor
I'd like to know the answer to this, I was just trying to post.

I want to mount a smb share from another NAS within a jail.

I think I should be using mount_smbfs but whenever I try to execute it I get the following message.

kldload(smbfs): Operation not permitted

andyclimb

Contributor
I figured out a temporary solution which is to mount is to a folder outside the jail, and then use the attach storage to attach it inside the jail. Thank seems to work.

ssgoku129

Dabbler
I figured out a temporary solution which is to mount is to a folder outside the jail, and then use the attach storage to attach it inside the jail. Thank seems to work.

So you got it working by mounting the share from the FreeNAS shell? could you post the exact command?

mount_smbfs -I mybuddysnetwork.ca //ssgoku129@172.16.0.35/Media /mnt/RAIDZ2/NAS

doesn't work for me

andyclimb

Contributor
hi,

I'm new to all this so this might no work for you. I think that the -I setting is specific for an IP, so i would swap your ones around. this is what works for me. I also figured that the share inherits the permissions of the folder you mount to, so just set the target folder in my case /mnt/multimedia to the user you need access for..

mount_smbfs -I 192.168.1.80 //Admin@Nas/Multimedia /mnt/multimedia

ssgoku129

Dabbler
hi,

I'm new to all this so this might no work for you. I think that the -I setting is specific for an IP, so i would swap your ones around. this is what works for me. I also figured that the share inherits the permissions of the folder you mount to, so just set the target folder in my case /mnt/multimedia to the user you need access for..

mount_smbfs -I 192.168.1.80 //Admin@Nas/Multimedia /mnt/multimedia

Thanks for the help andy! Unfortunately, the command still doesn't work for me, still gets the following error:
mount_smbfs: unable to open connection: syserr = Operation timed out

andyclimb

Contributor
can you cut and past the exact command you tried..

my next question would be does the share work on other machines? ie.. are you certain that it is the freenas and not the share...

just to be sure you could run an nmap to see if the port is open on your target... the fact that you are getting operation timed out, suggests that this might be the case. its not an authentication error etc.. not yet at least

do you have a linux machine, or one that you can run nmap on?

ssgoku129

Dabbler
Hey andy,

Thanks man! I appreciate the troubleshooting advice, although I'm not sure what the problem was, unfortunately I can't use nmap because my friend has a very secure firewall so I can only access 445 on his NAS, every other IP and port on the subnet is blocked and no pinging allowed.

So I did a fresh install of the latest version that just came out, 9.2.1.3, added the static route in Network,
Destination Network: 172.16.0.0/21
Gateway: 192.168.0.1

tried the same command,
mount_smbfs -I 172.16.0.35 //xbmc@172.16.0.35/Multimedia /mnt/RAIDZ2/OSNAS

Works great! thanks for the reminder that I needed to use the IP and not the domain

Status
Not open for further replies.