mount zfs volumes

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,

it's a few month I am using freenas ver. 8, recently I add a new WD EXT USB 2TB and I am trying to schedule a backup copy from my zfs volumes in to this USB storage. It’s not a difficult work to do, but I cannot access the zfs volumes directly from the shell.

Would you please help me.
Thanks

TheSmoker

Patron
Normally the volumes can be found in /mnt
Can you please put here the output of command: df -h

thanks for your replay,
I shall tell you that these ZFS volumes are formatted as NTFS and i am using them in my windows servers via ISCSI driver. I show you the result of "ls" command. if I should provide you with more information please tell. thanks

[root@freenas] ~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
/dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a 927M 379M 474M 44% /
devfs 1.0K 1.0K 0B 100% /dev
/dev/md0 4.6M 1.9M 2.3M 44% /etc
/dev/md1 824K 3.5K 755K 0% /mnt
/dev/md2 149M 8.9M 128M 6% /var
/dev/ufs/FreeNASs4 20M 1.0M 17M 6% /data
hdd-250 6.4G 22K 6.4G 0% /mnt/hdd-250
hdd-250/hdd-250 6.4G 21K 6.4G 0% /mnt/hdd-250/hdd-250
wd-external 1.8T 22K 1.8T 0% /mnt/wd-external
wd-external/wd-external 1.8T 21K 1.8T 0% /mnt/wd-external/wd-external
[root@freenas] ~# ls /mnt/hdd-250/hdd-250/
./ ../
[root@freenas] ~#

TheSmoker

Patron
So by the looks of it you have 2 internal and 2 external drives. Please correct me if I am wrong.
If i understand corectly you want to back up your ntfs drives to external drives. Is that correct? If yes, why dont you use the client which has the volumes mounted through iSCSI to do the backups?
In the case you want to do file level backup on FreeNAS (file copy) then you are going to need to mount your ntfs partitions by using mount_ntfs in read-only mode and copy everything on the extenal drives.

yes, exactly, I am going to backup the first HDD in to the external one. but as the mater of fact, this is the scenario:

every server take a backup every night into ISCSI. But the old hard disk is too low, so we have to hold just 10 days history, because of some security issues we buy a new external HDD and we would like to connect it just at the weekends in order to copy and hold only the last day's backup.
so i need to configure the freenas to make a copy once a week from the internal HDD into the external one.

if you can provide me a better idea i am really open to that, and i would appreciate.

thanks

cyberjock

Inactive Account
rsync is an option. It would take a little bit of setting up, but for your situation that is possible the best option you have. The FreeNAS manual explains how to use rsync pretty well. I got it working the first time I tried it about 2 weeks ago with no prior knowledge of rsync.

Status
Not open for further replies.