Mount Windows dataset in Jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdybro

Dabbler
Hi.

I have just setup my new FreeNAS. Now I want to run the Transmission bittorrent client in a jail.

For this I have created a dataset called "downloads" with the Windows share type, and setup a CIFS share, so I can browse it from my Windows computers.

Now, I need access to this dataset from the jail, but can I just mount the dataset even though it is added as a Windows share type? I am in doubt as I read somewhere that you shouldn't create multiple shares (CFIS/NFS/AFP) on the same dataset, and I don't know if this also applies to this situation.

Thanks in advance, and regards.

rdybro

Dabbler
No, as long as permissions are set appropriately.
Okay, thanks a lot for the answer :)

EDIT: I got another one for you though! ;)

I plan to install Plex in a Jail too. What would be best practice here, mount the dataset directly, or attach the CIFS share?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Mount the dataset as storage. I can't think of any instance where it would make sense to mount the network share (whether CIFS, AFP, or NFS) than to simply add the dataset as storage to the jail (there may be such a case, but I can't think of it).

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Mounting storage is not a 'share' so the rules for shares don't really apply there

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

rdybro

Dabbler
Mount the dataset as storage. I can't think of any instance where it would make sense to mount the network share (whether CIFS, AFP, or NFS) than to simply add the dataset as storage to the jail (there may be such a case, but I can't think of it).

Thanks, I will do that :)

Mounting storage is not a 'share' so the rules for shares don't really apply there

Okay, thank :) I am not aware of the differences between creating the dataset as a Windows type versus a Linux type, so I didn't know if that was what would create the problem in a sharing situation. Thanks for clarifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.