mount request denied from 192.168.0.100 for /mnt/Volume1/Documents

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerenba

Cadet
The title pretty much sums it up, while using NFS on Windows 7 Premium (I'm a gamer :() I get a "mount request denied" error.

Per a suggestion elsewhere on this forum, I tried SSH'ing into the server, and I was able to access /mnt/Volume1/Documents, create files, and create folders.

I am able to map //192.168.0.100/mnt/Volume1/ to a drive, but never /mnt/Volume1/. Once I have /mnt/Volume1/ mapped I am able to see all of my shares for Volume1, but I am unable to enter them (access denied error).

I have tried logging in as the admin/main user (gerenba) and root. Below is the permissions info for the Documents share:

Doc Permisions.jpg

Below is my /etc/exports file:

/mnt/Volume1/Code -alldirs -ro -maproot=gerenba:Coders: -network 192.168.0.100/24
/mnt/Volume1/Documents -alldirs -mapall=gerenba:1001 192.168.0.100

I've tried variations of the above, but they didn't work either.

The server is guaranteed to have the IP 192.168.0.199, and I am guaranteed to have the IP 192.168.0.100 (through Static IP's and Dynamic IP reservation as a back up). I'm hardcoding the IP's here to simplify things as much as possible, obviously a range would be better.

ProtoSD

MVP
Which version of FreeNAS are you using? 8.0? or 8.01 beta?

Also, did you check the 'Allow guest access' on the CIFS setup page?

Edit: you might also want to 'check' the 'recursively' box, or you might have trouble with the subfolders too.

gerenba

Cadet
Info

I'm using 8.0, and I'm using NFS, not CIFS; Windows 7 Ultimate and Premium both support NFS.

I check the recursive box for both Volume1 and the Documents share, but it still doesn't work.

To give additional details, when I map /mnt/Volume1/ in Windows I am able to see all of my current shares as folders, but I am unable to enter them, edit them, see properties, create new folders in Volume1, etc. I can't even edit the properties of Volume1.

ProtoSD

MVP
My bad gerenba, I missed the NFS part. The only thing I can suggest is to try 8.01 beta 4, there were a lot of permission fixes between 8.0 and 8.01 beta 4. I'm not sure if that will cure your problem or not, just a suggestion.

gerenba

Cadet
I thought I remembered someone else having trouble with this also. Have a look near the end of this thread and see if that helps.
NFS-shares-not-working-properly-in-Windows

DOH! That was actually the thread I referred to earlier, but I somehow missed the post about the registry hack. I apologize!

I did the registry hack, and that seems to have improved the situation, but it still isn't quite right. I initially had everything in Volume1 with the permissions in the original post and owned by gerenba (1001), Standard Users(1001). So, I initially used the registry hack to put the anonymous ID's at 1001. After doing so, I was able to go into /mnt/Volume1/Documents (PROGRESS!) and create folders; however, whenever I tried to create files I would get the error "Error 0x80070021" (more on this later). To make matters more confusing, the files would still be created, they would just all have a byte size of 0. Additionally, the FreeNAS console was still reporting access denied errors for /mnt/. Possibly as a side effect of that, doing anything over the network was SOOO SLOW; we're talking several seconds just to browse a directory.

I then switched all of the permissions for Volume1 (and all sub directories) to the following:

permissions.jpg

I then used the registry hack to switch the UID and GUI to 0 and remapped the drive. The change in permissions seemed to solve most of the speed issues. Just as above, I was able to create folders, but files would give that error code and only make a 0 byte file.

After doing that, I searched for Error 0x80070021 on these forums and found the following thread that seems to solve many of the problems I'm experiencing:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/freenas/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=6272&p=30994&hilit=0x80070021#p30994

Just out of curiosity, is it possible that upgrading to 8.01 beta could help fix some of these problems? I'm not opposed to upgrading, especially since my NAS doesn't' contain any files yet and I installed FreeNAS to a flash drive.

I've attached pictures of the commands I was using to mount and unmount, and the properties that the NFS client is using (with the hacked anon ID's).

Attachments

• properties.jpg
    properties.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 534
  • mount_cmd.jpg
    mount_cmd.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 591

ProtoSD

MVP
Wow, my brain was already on verge of imploding tonight... ;-)

I think trying the nightly build might be worth a try. It looks like build [7092]: Update to Samba 3.5.11 version, plus security fixes. ... might be related.

The nightly builds are here: FreeNAS-8-nightly/

That fix was after beta-4, so beta-4 probably isn't what you need. Give it a try if you're up to it and see if it helps. You might want to reset the registry hacks just so you have a known starting point.

Thanks for sharing what you found so far.

gerenba

Cadet
I upgraded to last night's nightly build and now whenever I try to connect to 192.168.0.199 (my NAS's static IP) I immediately get denied. I used the windows troubleshooter (I was obviously pretty desperate ;)) and surprise, surprise it was actually helpful. It said that Windows was immediately getting a permission denied error when trying to connect. I looked, but the only place I found where you could set connection permissions was on a per Dataset/volume basis, and I had my IP (192.168.0.199) listed. Any ideas?

gerenba

Cadet
More details!

To give more details, I get the below error when trying to connect using NFS:

NFS Issue.jpg

I am, however, able to SSH in, use the web manager, and CIFS shares seems to work fine (cursory testing only). It seems like doing the upgrade to the nightly build just made everything worse. Any ideas anyone? I'm going a little crazy over here.

Status
Not open for further replies.