More mechanic than techie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
Twenty years ago or more and for business reasons I found myself owning a Windows 3.11 486 computer, despite my previous indifference that was the start of my computing fascination and superficial understanding. Installed OS2 Warp on top, total crash and wipe, re-installed Win3.11 ran like a dog so decided to rebuild the system.ini & win.ini from a diagnostics print out I had luckily made before the crash. I had no idea about drivers and stuff or anything really so it was quite amazing to see the effects of of rebuilding the files a few lines at a time; finally the cutting edge 32bit hard drive data transfer suddenly kicked in, whoosh.
Next, disk partitioning, duel booting, more OS2 then a flirtation with Susi Linux then a play with Ubuntu then Ubuntu Server.
The real change came with fifteen minutes of a YouTube showing how easy it was to put Windows into VirtualBox. That was it, Ubuntu on the Laptop Windows in the Virtualbox, now it's Debian 8 and LXDE desktop with Windows still in the box.
Anyway after a lifetime of self employment I find myself in employment mostly using my practical skills but I am also by default the Windows peer to peer network infrastructure builder manage, administrator. There are about twenty computers one of which doubles as a data server; a bunch of directories accessed by means of group permissions.
It's not much used really apart from the accounts department who are the only ones who see the benefits of sharing and securing data, to that end I have purchased an iXSystems FreeNAS Mini in order to expand the available space and renew the hardware. Well reviewed and Linux like, what did I know?
Anyway, quite apart from this forum and my VirtualBox installation there seems to be lots of Webinars, YouTube videos and books on zfs so what I need is some practical guidance on setting up and directing my research and reading, time is limited as some one is soon going to ask why I have not switched on the new box.
I'll try and put the questions in the right place as I have noticed rather like zfs there are not too many rules here but they have to be adhered to on pain of death.
Paul

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Welcome!
there are not too many rules here but they have to be adhered to on pain of death
Sometimes you'll catch someone on a bad hair day. Worst case is when it looks like the poster hasn't done any homework at all. You will have done some homework ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.