More entertaining

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrcola

Cadet
Hi

I'm using FreeNAS 0.7 and it is really great, trouble free.

I have looked into version comparison over FreeNAS 8 and 0.7. As I can see FreeNAS 8 is more "business" oriented while 0.7 is more as "entertaining"

Is it possible to bring another edition of FreeNAS 8 to bring more fun part such as UPNP and transmission

Thank you

sjieke

Contributor
The "entertaining" part will come gradually starting from version 8.1
They will provide a plugin system so you can add the plugins that you need (such as transmission)

More info can be found here: http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Roadmap_for_8.1

mrcola

Cadet
Awsome, Thanks.

Could you let me know why FreeNAS 8 is that resource hungry. Compared to FreeNAS 0.7, it requires a much higher hardware spec

Regards

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
As to the RAM consumption: FreeNAS 8 focuses on ZFS (the Zettabyte File System) which is very much a resource hungry file system. In return, you get things like active bitrot repair on redundant volumes. If you make volumes in UFS, your resource needs will be much lower, but you won't be able to use any of ZFS' advanced features [for example, you'll probably need a RAID card for your RAID arrays, while ZFS handles RAID for you using RAID-Z (or RAID-Z2 for double redundancy)]. This is also related to the general enterprise focus of FreeNAS 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.