Mixing Drive Sizes

smartkid808

Cadet
Hi Guys,

Newb here to freeNAS. I am looking at replacing my Synology 816, running SHR, which is at max capacity.

I bought some gear, and am wondering on mixing drive sizes. I have read I can create separate pools (which I need to figure out), etc, but trying to get updated info (thats not a year old) just in case something changed. Also need to figure out how that works.

HP DL380p g8 (2x E5-2640, 32-64GB ram (right now it has 32).
NetApp 4246 Disk Shelf (waiting on sas cable to come in, which I will have tomorrow)

Right now the new setup will have 3 4TB (2x WD Red, 1 Seagate WL) and 1 10TB (WD WL) Drive to start untill I am stable and move all data over. Am I able to mix drive sizes like I did in Synology/Drobo?

Thanks
Will

smartkid808

Cadet
If not, should I create different pools? FIrst 12 bays used for 4TB and 13-24 used for 10TB? Not really sure best way to configure/setup

Hi @smartkid808, welcome to the forums
I bought some gear, and am wondering on mixing drive sizes. I have read I can create separate pools (which I need to figure out), etc, but trying to get updated info (thats not a year old) just in case something changed. Also need to figure out how that works.
The User Guide has excellent instructions for how to create new pools, extend them by adding more vdevs, etc. I think a good place to start is to do some research to understand the difference between a pool and a vdev and the different types of vdevs. This will help you understand more about how you should design your pools and why drive size matters; basically the drives in the same vdev all act as though they are of the smallest sized drive in that vdev. Also, it is generally a bad idea to have a single-disk vdev. Doing so means you have no redundancy at all whatsoever. If you lose that drive you'll lose the entire pool the vdev was a part of.

smartkid808

Cadet
Hi @smartkid808, welcome to the forums

The User Guide has excellent instructions for how to create new pools, extend them by adding more vdevs, etc. I think a good place to start is to do some research to understand the difference between a pool and a vdev and the different types of vdevs. This will help you understand more about how you should design your pools and why drive size matters; basically the drives in the same vdev all act as though they are of the smallest sized drive in that vdev. Also, it is generally a bad idea to have a single-disk vdev. Doing so means you have no redundancy at all whatsoever. If you lose that drive you'll lose the entire pool the vdev was a part of.
Thanks so much. I hate reading (learn better by watching), anyways I'll check it out. Also I have 2 more 10TB, they are just in use in the current NAS. Once I fully switch over those drives will also move over to the FreeNas.

I hate reading (learn better by watching), anyways I'll check it out.
haha, I understand. I do have to caution against being too quick with FreeNAS. FreeNAS is not a set-it-and-forget-it appliance nor is it a one-click solution. Proper pool layout and design is extremely important in terms of performance and data integrity. A properly designed pool can deliver excellent performance and provide reliable data integrity. An improperly designed pool will suffer poor performance and may risk your data significantly. Also, no amount of redundancy in your pool design is a replacement for a backup. FreeNAS on its own does not preclude the need for a backup. Any data you store that is irreplaceable should have proper backups.

Anyway, you may already know all of the above, in which case feel free to ignore me. :)

smartkid808

Cadet
haha, I understand. I do have to caution against being too quick with FreeNAS. FreeNAS is not a set-it-and-forget-it appliance nor is it a one-click solution. Proper pool layout and design is extremely important in terms of performance and data integrity. A properly designed pool can deliver excellent performance and provide reliable data integrity. An improperly designed pool will suffer poor performance and may risk your data significantly. Also, no amount of redundancy in your pool design is a replacement for a backup. FreeNAS on its own does not preclude the need for a backup. Any data you store that is irreplaceable should have proper backups.

Anyway, you may already know all of the above, in which case feel free to ignore me. :)
Thanks, yea, I totally know the last one.. I am in IT, and was not "allowed" to back up, and we lost data. so yea, I totally have all my important stuff on 2 machines as well as NAS and Cloud.

As for proper setup, that's why I am trying to research best I can.. I am not a Linux person so most of this is new to me. Been in SMB envrio most my time, so storage was always on a local server. Currently looking at FreeNas (zfs1/2) and UnRaid (btrfs). Trying to find pros and cons to both. The Plex media (I would hate to lose it, but its not life and death either). The same goes for TechNet/Application ISOs. I wouldn't be happy if I lost it, but wouldn't be the end of the world.

My main 2 shares (which i was thinking of using separate pools if i use ZSF), is Apps (ISOs and Apps), and Videos (Plex Media).

ronclark

Dabbler
Hi Guys,

Newb here to freeNAS. I am looking at replacing my Synology 816, running SHR, which is at max capacity.

HP DL380p g8 (2x E5-2640, 32-64GB ram (right now it has 32).
NetApp 4246 Disk Shelf (waiting on sas cable to come in, which I will have tomorrow)

Right now the new setup will have 3 4TB (2x WD Red, 1 Seagate WL) and 1 10TB (WD WL) Drive to start untill I am stable and move all data over. Am I able to mix drive sizes like I did in Synology/Drobo?

Thanks
Will

If you can stand loosing RAW storage doing mirrors will let you use different drives sizes. you will need 1 more 4TB and 10TB drive.

https://jrs-s.net/2015/02/06/zfs-you-should-use-mirror-vdevs-not-raidz/