Missing about 500GB after update to 9.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingPersian

Patron
Hi
I updated from 9.2.1.8 to 9.3 earlier today. If I'm not wrong I had about 3,4TB of free storage before and now I have around 2,9TB of free storage. I haven't downloaded anything big lately, at least not 500GB. Am I correct to assume that the issue lays with the update to 9.3?
I have 6x WD Red 4TB in RAIDz2 running.

Regards

DKarnov

Dabbler
If nothing else, assuming you haven't fiddled with the flags on your pool, you could throw a 9.2.1.8 stick back in and verify you actually had 3,4TB before.

FlyingPersian

Patron
Nope I haven't done anything to the flags on my pool. In fact I haven't change any settings at all. I just applied the update, that's all. One thing I noticed tho is that I have my zpool "Data" listed twice in my storage page. So it's like Data/Data/PersonalFolder instead of Data/PersonalFolder. It seems all good in shell, so /mnt/Data/PersonalFolder. Might this have anything to do with it?

FlyingPersian

Patron
I did some calculations that support my issue + d4nthr4x also has a similar issue:

Code:
Data          21.8T  16.7T  5.00T         -    12%    77%  1.00x  ONLINE  /mnt
freenas-boot  7.25G   947M  6.33G         -      -    12%  1.00x  ONLINE  -

I have 5TB of free space. 2/3 I can use, 1/3 is used for parity (RAIDz2)
--> 5 * (2/3) = 3,3TB which is what i remember it being before the update

I have about 14,9TB (16*1000^3)/1024^3 = 14.9TB) useable storage (6x 4TB WD Reds). I added up all the sizes of my datasets retrieved by du - h. It summed up to right about 11TB, let's add another 300G for jails and other files I can't think of right now at 5:50am.
--> 14,9TB - 11,3TB = 3,6TB

This doesn't add up perfectly fine, but I have many files in my jails and here and there some other stuff. But it's well above the 2,88TB that's shown free via Windows and this:

Code:
NAME   USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
Data  11.2T  2.88T   639K  /mnt/Data

So in summary there has to be something going on as roughly 500GB don't just vanish into thin air.

enemy85

Guru
With "zfs list" you will see the actual used space of every dataset of your pool. See if there is something strange there (e.g. .system dataset)

FlyingPersian

Patron
So I just plugged my FreeNAS 9.2.1.8 stick in and booted off it, uploaded the old config and imported the zpool. These are the results:

1. Windows shows me 3,1TB free, which is about right I guess (200GB more than with FreeNAS 9.3)

2. FreeNAS Storage page shows me 3,1TB free

3. zool list:
Code:
NAME   SIZE  ALLOC   FREE    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
Data  21.8T  16.8T  4.98T    77%  1.00x  ONLINE  /mnt

4. zfs list Data
Code:
NAME   USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
Data  11.2T  3.09T   655K  /mnt/Data

So the difference isn't as big as I remembered, but even 3,1TB vs. 2,88TB is a quite big difference I suppose

enemy85

Guru
Zpool list gives the amount of the raw space (total/used/free) of ALL the disks, including the parity space. Zfs list instead the real space (total/free/used) already without the raw space for parity

Johnson

Cadet
Ok, I'm having the same issue.... I've got 6 3TB Drives, 2 in parity. So that leaves 4 drives should come out to 10.88TB of disk space? I'm showing 9.98TB

FlangeMonkey

Contributor
I got hit hard with this, as I was running my pool down to its limits while I get my new pool up, so with no space available I couldn't even connect to it over the network to move data, very annoying it wasn't in the release notes.

Someone mentioned they have increased the freespace reserve limit, to something like 10%. According to this bug tracker https://bugs.pcbsd.org/issues/6656 there was a change to 3.125%.

I'd really like to get a definitive answer on what they have changed and if there are tunables to adjust this.

Johnson

Cadet
Yes, this needs an answer. I'm losing diskspace over time...... its friggin weird.... I started with 10.88 then wen't to 9.98 now I'm down to 9.85 now

J

jkh

Nope I haven't done anything to the flags on my pool. In fact I haven't change any settings at all. I just applied the update, that's all. One thing I noticed tho is that I have my zpool "Data" listed twice in my storage page. So it's like Data/Data/PersonalFolder instead of Data/PersonalFolder. It seems all good in shell, so /mnt/Data/PersonalFolder. Might this have anything to do with it?
Nope. That's just 9.3 properly reporting that a pool called Data also contains a dataset called Data now (which was always true, it just didn't display as such before).

danb35

Hall of Famer
Yes, this needs an answer. I'm losing diskspace over time...... its friggin weird.... I started with 10.88 then wen't to 9.98 now I'm down to 9.85 now
Are you doing snapshots?

FlangeMonkey

Contributor
I cannot answer for Johnson, but snapshots don't have any affect on this. I noticed a difference from going to 9.3.

Status
Not open for further replies.