mirroring two local pools

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanodec

Dabbler
Hey guys,

The answer to this may be simple, and could be obvious, but looking through the FreeNAS guide didn't give me a good explanation.

Basically I have two local pools to mirror. One visible and one that won't be. Want to have this so if the visible pool gets filled, I can remove, extend and resilver it off the hidden one. This is for data redundancy, and I know there could be other ways to go about it, but I've read somewhere that this can be done as a successful option.

How would I go about doing this? Via rsync? I am just unsure of how to specify the local PC versus a remote.

Any insight into this would be awesome... thanks again,

Craig

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You can't "mirror" two pools. You can, however, back one up to the other (note that a single catastrophic incident, like a PSU that decides to start outputting 230V AC on its outputs, will probably render both pools unusable). Rsync is a frankly silly choice, but ZFS replication should work nicely.

nanodec

Dabbler
Awesome Eric...

So how would I go about setting up the zfs replication for local?

alykalanany

Dabbler
Same as regular remote but use 127.0.0.1 and turn off encryption and compression. Note: it uses snapshots so you have to configure that first, but it's also in the docs.

nanodec

Dabbler
Cool... I have snapshots up and running, I was just wondering how you setup the duplication. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.