Mirrored boot drives both bad

adamgoldberg

Explorer
I may be screwed. Please help?

I have no backup of nas system config (or if I do, it's ancient). I had a two memory-stick boot pool, but one was failing so I pulled it out, and now neither one will boot (nor both). I end up at a BIOS message something like "this is a NAS drive, not a bootable one."

How can I recover?

As long as your storage pool (and relevant drives) is okay, you can still import it into a new installation of TrueNAS. Since you don't have a (recent) backup of your config, you'll need to redo all your settings from scratch.

Buy a couple SSDs to install TrueNAS to a mirrored boot-pool, then import your storage pool(s), then reconfigure your settings.

adamgoldberg

Explorer
Thanks. But what does that mean exactly? Boot from an install CD?

Just install TrueNAS to a pair of SSDs (select both SSDs during the installation, which will make a mirror boot-pool).

You can use a USB stick for the installer. (No need for any CDs.)

adamgoldberg

Explorer
Luckily I was able to get it to boot from an original boot drive, add a new drive to the boot pool, remove bad drive, reboot and it came up with the storage intact.

Jails, however, are another story. iocage list is empty, iocage activate has been done. If I create a new jail, I can find the new jail and the old (missing) jail in the filesystem. I want the old (missing) jails; can I just copy from the old loc to the new loc? If not, what to do?