Rebuilding mirrored boot USBs on 9.10

Status
Not open for further replies.

pincorrect

Dabbler
One of my boot usb's (2 Samsung 32gb usb drives, mirrored) has failed. I want to double-check that I understand the right procedure to repair this.

First, I understand the easy way to do this would be to just unplug the bad one (presuming I guess correctly which one that is), plug in a new usb drive, and restart FreeNAS. Then the system will automatically rebuild the mirror, yes? I actually bought 2 replacement usb drive. So then if I unplug the original, still good but old one, and plug in the 2nd new one, it will rebuild the mirror again using the new one it just built?

Second, suppose I wanted to do this the "slow" way. I originally installed FreeNAS using my laptop and the remote console of the management computer on my Supermicro motherboard. I have the .iso file I used to install, which I originally mounted as a virtual bootable CD on the server. I can mount and boot from this again, after plugging in my two brand new usb drives, reinstall, and restore my configuration. But I want to make sure I know the correct procedure.

A question about config backups. In the web interface, in the System pages under the General tab, there is a button labelled "Save Config". This creates a file named something like <server-name>-FreeNAS-9.10.2-U1 (<hex-code>)-<date-and-time>.db (e.g. treefrog-FreeNAS-9.10.2-U1 (84F79C4)-20180331141020.db) that gets downloaded to the pc viewing the web interface. Is this the config backup that people talk about when they say to save and later restore your config? On the Advanced tab, there is also a Backup button, but it brings up a dialog asking for a host name, user name, password, etc. Is this a different form of the same backup?

Now, as to building two new bootable, mirrored, usb drives from the iso, I assume the first step is to boot from the iso (mounted as a virtual CD drive), and install FreeNAS-9.10 on the two usb drives. Then I will dismount the virtual CD and reboot from the usb drives. But then how do I restore my configuration? Is the file I mentioned above the config backup I want to restore? How do I make it visible to my newly booted FreeNAS? Do I do this restore from the ascii console of FreeNAS server (viewed through virtual console provided by the management computer)? Or do I do it from the FreeNAS web interface?

Also, does any part of the process to restore the saved configuration differ if you have mirrored usb drives rather than a single usb drive?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Is this the config backup that people talk about when they say to save and later restore your config?
Yes.
Is the file I mentioned above the config backup I want to restore?
Yes.
How do I make it visible to my newly booted FreeNAS?
From the FreeNAS GUI.
Also, does any part of the process to restore the saved configuration differ if you have mirrored usb drives rather than a single usb drive?
It will expect mirrored USB drives since that's what it was created with.

pincorrect

Dabbler
Thanks, Jailer.

So, just to make sure I've got it straight, I use the original .iso I downloaded (mounted as a virtual, bootable CD drive) to install FreeNAS on the two new usb drives. Then I boot off of the usb drives and continue with the console portion of the installation so I can get the FreeNAS gui working (and presumably at the same ip address I used before.) Then from the FreeNAS gui, I will go to the System / General page, hit the "Upload Config" button, select my backup file, and it will restore my configuration on the usb drives?

And to ask either a dumb or very paranoid question, while I'm doing this, it will leave all my SATA HDD's, with all my data, alone and unmolested, at least until I restore the backed up config?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Yes that is the correct procedure. Your data lives on your pool and will be untouched. Once you restore your config everything will be back to normal.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You're welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.