Cannot create 11.3-U1 bootable media

GChuck

Dabbler
I searched both the message boards and the documentation relentlessly to find out why I cannot create bootable media for 11.3-U1.

First I tried creating a bootable USB stick. I have tried using Rufus 3.8 and Rufus 3.9. I have tried using Win32DiskImager and I have tried using Balena Etcher 1.5.79. All programs create the bootable stick, but the stick will not boot in my system.

The system will only boot from a MBR using BIOS.

Now please don't jump on me just because my system is ancient and not up to your standards. I have two identical Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00GHz based systems. Both have the maximum 8GB of memory. One is currently running FreeNAS-11.3-U1 updated from 11.2-U7. Now I'm trying to set up the second machine as a backup to the first and also to be used to test different scenarios without mucking up the first.

The first machine was installed using a bootable DVD of FreeNAS-11.2-U7 and then upgraded online to 11.3-U1. However I have NOT upgraded ZFS to enable the "new feature flags" because I am unable to create a bootable install disk/usb of 11.3-U1. The reason I need this bootable install media is that my primary systems mirrored boot sticks went bad to a point where I could not recover (part system, part user!!). So I just booted off my 11.2-U7 DVD and recreated my mirrored boot environment. I then reapplied all the online updates and when that had completed I just i imported my backed up configuration an voila, my system was back. When this had completed I then re-upgraded the system to 11.3-U1.

Now if I had bootable 11.3-U1 media, I would not have had to re-install 11.2-U7 and then apply the updates. But I cannot create media, USB or DVD that will boot on my system.

What is it with the FreeNAS ISOs that make them so very different from stock Windows, Linux etc ISOs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Greg ...

P.S. I've ordered server hardware more in line with FreeNAS recommendations (Xeon E-2236, 32GB), but it has not arrived yet and because of Covid19, probably won't for a few more weeks.