[minio] S3 service failed to start.

hansch

Explorer
Hi!
I am experimenting with Freenas and minio. It is nice that it is included, but I cannot get it running.
(I have gotten it running on ONE system, but all others have failed.)
I do not know the difference.

I installed Freenas
Added a dataset
Configured a CA
Configured a certificate
Added S3 settings
Started S3
Result: S3 service failed to start.

Last item in /var/log/messages:
Jan 8 10:49:20 freenas root: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/minio: WARNING: failed precmd routine for minio

(It repeats itself when I try to start s3)

root@freenas[/usr/local/etc/minio]# ls -al

total 6
drwxrwxr-x 3 minio minio 64 Jan 8 10:22 .
drwxr-xr-x 37 root wheel 6016 Jan 8 10:51 ..
dr-xr-xr-x 3 root minio 192 Jan 8 10:22 certs

(I have found a topic on wrong ACLs but this seems to be OK.)

What could be the cause?

(In other topics it is suggested that it is a bug which is solved in the latest RELEASE (which I am using of course.)

I tried 4 installs, of which only 1 succeeded. When reinstalling on the same hardware, I could not get it to work.

Edit:
I think it is related to the formerly mentioned file permissions bugs.
I solved it by creating a file in /usr/local/etc/minio (config.json) with the right owner (minio and minio) and copying the contents of the working system into it, then chmod 600. Not sure if those changes (which I made using the web terminal) will stick after rebooting. Did not try rebooting after that change because I am now testing backing up to it.
Still, it bugs my why I cannot get it to work with a clean install.
Even a clean install with a BACKUP of the settings (.tar) imported did NOT start S3!

There surely IS a bug, which I think is in the creation of the config.json.

I tried the latest MASTER from yesterday (11.3 etc.) and it started Minio without a problem.

Anybody know which of the 11.3 versions would be safe to use in a testing environment which will develop into production?

Last edited:

hansch

Explorer
After installing the latest release S3 failed to start, no matter what I did, including adding different data sets, disks, certificates et cetera.
I am talking about FreeNAS 11.2-RELEASE-U1.
Even after importing the config tarball from the only working system I have the config file for S3 in /usr/local/etc/minio (config.json) was simply not there.

(Hardware is the same.... I am testing - don't laugh - on a couple of Thinkpad T61s with 8 GB, which works fine for the one that... works fine.)

The only thing that could get it to work was to manually create the file. See above.

Try it for yourself if you want :)

D

dlavigne

Please create a report at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

hansch

Explorer
Do you think I have enough information? I cannot debug as nothing except this is logged:

Result: S3 service failed to start.

/var/log/messages:
freenas root: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/minio: WARNING: failed precmd routine for minio

Anyone doing what I did will come accross this.

hansch

Explorer
https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/69112
Let's see.

Added a bug report. The problem is (again) reproducible.
I'm not sure if anybody looking at it needs passwords et cetera. I looked in minio.log and it is empty.
The bug is also "private" because:

• Private changed from No to Yes
  • Reason for Blocked set to Need additional information from Author
Did I just provide that?
I'm very curious as to what the cause is.

Edit:

Someone else reported it too. (Still it is strange that this made it all the way to the release last December.)
https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/67602

Fixed here (1 day ago): https://github.com/freenas/freenas/pull/2393

(I edited the files using that source... it worked.)

Last edited:

designet

Cadet
Hi TrueNAS friends,

I've recently installed TrueNAS as a VM in Proxmox. All seems to have installed just fine. I have created pools and shares are working fine.

But . . . I want very much to use the S3 service. I've configured it as simply as possible - with a fresh new empty data set - and when I attempt to start the service, I get the same messages that @hansch reported in this thread:

S3 service failed to start.

Message being produced each time I attempt to run the S3 service is:

Dec 14 19:11:27 truenas 1 2020-12-14T19:11:27.651120-08:00 truenas.local root 1874 - - /usr/local/etc/rc.d/minio: WARNING: failed precmd routine for minio

My system is at TrueNAS-12.0-RELEASE

Anybody have thoughts or suggestions on what to look at next?

Thank you.

Jim