minidlna version 1.1.0 vs 1.1.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

John M. Długosz

Contributor
I don't know who maintains this plug-in, but can someone who's set up for this stuff be so kind as to update the minidlna plug-in with the current version?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/minidlna/files/minidlna/

It appears that minidlnad is a compiled executable, so I can't just copy over it using the stuff supplied in the SourceForge distribution.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You aren't going to get your request filled here. If you want it updated you should file a feature request at bugs.freenas.org.

Yatti420

Wizard
It's not ready yet as of a few weeks ago.. There are still some kinks to iron out in 113.x.. Especially with large libraries which will cause crashes.. The update function though does appear to be working..

joeschmuck

Old Man
Did you ever get the file I sent you to work? I still haven't taken the time to look at it.

Yatti420

Wizard
Hi joeschmuck.. I have it but havent found a way to install yet.. Haven't looked in depth.. I know from the port version I still had issues testing..

joeschmuck

Old Man
So this new port version 1.1.3, it doesn't have kqueue support does it, or at least I didn't see it in the release notes but then again I can be blind too.

John M. Długosz

Contributor
It's not ready yet as of a few weeks ago.. There are still some kinks to iron out in 113.x.. Especially with large libraries which will cause crashes.. The update function though does appear to be working..

Thanks. I wish I could help.

Re the ‘update’ function: I assume that means updating the database when the media files change?
So how do you trigger that (besides turning the plug-in off and back on)?
It's something I'll be doing frequently in the active importing/curating phase of my CD project.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Thanks. I wish I could help.

Re the ‘update’ function: I assume that means updating the database when the media files change?
So how do you trigger that (besides turning the plug-in off and back on)?
It's something I'll be doing frequently in the active importing/curating phase of my CD project.
Update is for when the MiniDLNA software changes not the media database.
The only way the official MiniDLNA will rescan the your media is by you stopping and restarting the plugin, assuming you have rescan on restart option checked. You need kqueue support built into the distribution which as far as I know, it isn't. There is a team working on it but it's a slow process I gather.

If you want to try this, I have a custom plugin which does have kqueue support but it may or may not work for you. Yatti420 has tried this version and tell you what works, doesn't work. For me it works perfectly but I don't have a huge library either. Here is the link to the thread which supports this version. http://forums.freenas.org/index.php...of-minidlna-almost-works-perfectly-now.17728/

Yatti420

Wizard
The port version does have kqueue.. That was the one I was testing with previously.. We had it scanning and updating properly.. But issues with large libraries always crashed it when it was done with scanning everything..(the file descriptor 8187 too big for select, limit is 1024) issue..

I just noticed the -p part of instructions on stefan's patch.. May give that a shot.. Nevermind looks like that patch applies to 1.1.2.. Still waiting I guess til some1 with the right skills takes a look and fixes whatevers outstanding..

Last edited:

John M. Długosz

Contributor
I see what Wikipedia says about kqueue. Is that to make the server more efficient, or does it enable some other features in this specific software?

Yatti420

Wizard
kqueue is required to have the integration work properly for future versions of minidlna of freebsd.. So when you drop a new file into a minidlna monitored folder it will index it correctly.. Right now on the current version you would have to stop minidlna restart it and then let it rescan through everything..

joeschmuck

Old Man
kqueue is the FreeBSD version of the Linux inotify. In general it's a low level signal that is generated when something changes in the file system such as when a new file shows up, a file is changed, or a file is deleted. Many times (most times) when a linux program is migrated into BSD if inotify is used, well it's not taken into account and kqueue is not implemented. Unfortunately it's not an easy replacement of a single command otherwise it would be done for every migration.

Status
Not open for further replies.