miniDLNA file is corrupted or unsupported

Status
Not open for further replies.

kindless

Cadet
I got a Sony BDV-N790W home theater, and I got miniDLNA working more or less, the box sees all the files I put on there, and they play... But most of the time it will play like one file, and then any other file I try to play is greeted with a "file corrupted or unsupported" error message, even the file I just played successfully. Sometimes this is fixed with restarting the plugin but I always end up with corrupted/unsupported files after one or two successful.

I'm relatively new to freenas and freebsd, I don't even know where to start looking for the cause of the problem. Running FreeNAS-8.3.2-ALPHA-r13004-x64; miniDLNA 1.0.24_1.

ProtoSD

MVP
Try by not using or complaining that an ALPHA version is having problems. /facepalm/ :eek:

kindless

Cadet
Problem existed with 8.3.0 and 8.3.1. I'm only using alpha because because I got it on the offshot it was going to fix something else, and can't easily downgrade.

paleoN

Wizard
Problem existed with 8.3.0 and 8.3.1. I'm only using alpha because because I got it on the offshot it was going to fix something else, and can't easily downgrade.
Nice of you to bother to mention any troubleshooting steps you have already taken. Copy off /data/freenas-v1.db.bak, which should be your previous config, to revert.

Have you tried scrubbing the pool, tried a different client, etc?

kindless

Cadet
Sorry, as I said, I'm new, I barely know my way around freeNAS. I haven't tried anything aside from shutting it off and turning it back on. I don't know any shell commands. I have a scrub set up for sunday, but I don't even know how to see if it's ever been done, nor how to force one now. What do you mean by different client, something else that uses DLNA? I can play files through DLNA from Windows Media Player, and it seems to not have the same problem. I don't have any other devices that have DLNA.

paleoN

Wizard
Sorry, as I said, I'm new, I barely know my way around freeNAS.
Yes, you're new which is probably why you didn't bother to read the forum rules or use common sense and tell us all pertinent information from the start. Exactly, what do you have to apologize for anyway? Don't abase yourself to faceless people on the internet and I don't care if you feel sorry for yourself.

What do you mean by different client, something else that uses DLNA? I can play files through DLNA from Windows Media Player, and it seems to not have the same problem. I don't have any other devices that have DLNA.
Yes, exactly though Media Player is a poor test, but if it's all you have... This suggests the issue may be to or with the Sony.

Speaking of pertinent information how is the Sony BDV-N790W connected to the network?

To manually scrub from a SSH session or the shell as root:
Code:
zpool scrub tank
Replace tank with the pool name.

kindless

Cadet
Atm it's connected through wifi, I'm pretty sure 802.11n, 2.4ghz, good enough signal to stream HD Netflix pretty well. My router is the ASUS RT-N56U, claims up to 300mbps. I've been meaning to stretch a cat6 to it for to improve Netflix buffering even more. I can try and make that happen sooner if you think it could be helpful.

I'll do the scrub tonight.

:Edit: AVIs don't seems to be affected. MP4s and MKVs are.

paleoN

Wizard

kindless

Cadet
Scrub took 18 minutes (if I'm reading the status correctly) and found zero errors. I had just finished laying down a cat6 cable, so now the Sony is wired... the problem persists. I started an MKV file, skipped to the next one, then the next one, they all started fine. Then I hit stop and tried playing them again, but was met with the error.

Additionally, I noticed the file type the Sony displays for each file changed from "MKV" (before I played anything) to "MPEG" (after I returned to the menu)..

paleoN

Wizard
Then I hit stop and tried playing them again, but was met with the error.

Additionally, I noticed the file type the Sony displays for each file changed from "MKV" (before I played anything) to "MPEG" (after I returned to the menu)..
Looking around a bit, I see Sony caused all kinds of fun with their recent players. It sounds similar to Sony BDP-S490 new firmware issues, except for the fact it plays the file at all. You could try a firmware update if there's one available.

Otherwise, I would suggest posting on the minidlna forums for ideas, beside a different client. ;) Most likely they will need to know how the problem files are encoded.

kindless

Cadet
As I feared. It is running the newest firmware currently available to it. I guess I'll try minidlna's forum for answers. Thanks for trying~

Status
Not open for further replies.