Mini-ITX 1RU build

uneekwahn

Cadet
Currently running at HP ProLiant ML110 G6, which until recently had 4x4tb drives. I upgraded the drives to 12tb, but one of them does not power on, despite it working perfectly in a usb dock. I suspect it's a psu issue as I can put a 4tb drive in and it works perfectly (1x4tb 3x12tb) but obviously this is not ideal, nor what I want.

I'm also wanting to build a small 4RU set up to house a new 1RU ups and some other bits and pieces.

Case/PSU I'm looking at: https://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=86
MB: https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/H410M-ITXac/

Do you think the psu in the case will be sufficient to power 4x12tb drives?

Cheers,

Jason.

jayecin

Explorer
So i i built what i would think is something similar to your PC using pcpartpicker as it does an ok job estimating power usage. It came out to 194 watts using a 65 watt 10th gen CPU. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GFwwPV

That 300watt power supply in that case should be fine as long as it comes with enough Sata power cables. In the past I tried using sata power splitters on SSD drives thinking they wouldnt need that much power, but they kept crashing.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I upgraded the drives to 12tb, but one of them does not power on, despite it working perfectly in a usb dock. I suspect it's a psu issue as I can put a 4tb drive in and it works perfectly (1x4tb 3x12tb) but obviously this is not ideal, nor what I want.

If this is a newer or "shucked" drive this is more likely the 3.3v PWDIS (power disable) pin issue.

jayecin

Explorer
If this is a newer or "shucked" drive this is more likely the 3.3v PWDIS (power disable) pin issue.

I bought an 8TB one just the other day, shucked it and put it directly into my NAS without doing anything else.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I bought an 8TB one just the other day, shucked it and put it directly into my NAS without doing anything else.

Even between two "identical" external drives, users have reported different internal models, some of which have a 3.3V pin and others lacking it. I'd double-check the model numbers you've got to see if you can verify.

That said, nothing discouraging you from building a new unit. Although a 1U rackmount is not likely to be quiet, just so you're aware. The ML110 will be a whisper by comparison.

uneekwahn

Cadet
Even between two "identical" external drives, users have reported different internal models, some of which have a 3.3V pin and others lacking it. I'd double-check the model numbers you've got to see if you can verify.

That said, nothing discouraging you from building a new unit. Although a 1U rackmount is not likely to be quiet, just so you're aware. The ML110 will be a whisper by comparison.

So I ended up ordering 4 drives, one which wouldn't work, thought it was the 3.3v issue, but turned out that it had basically no helium in it (I shucked it without testing before!). I ordered a 5th one, tested it before, it's all good re helium, but won't turn on in the ML110. I didn't think to retry the tape mod as the other 3 drives all worked perfectly without it. I will try tonight to see if that resolves the issue.

Cheers,

Jason.