Mini-ITX build question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Ng

Cadet
I'm planning to build a FreeNAS primarily for music and Dropbox sync. I may also run some jails in the future (e.g. home automation stuff) but I don't expect to do anything heavy. Here is my current selection and I'd appreciate your feedback:

Case: Fractal Design Node 304
Motherboard: ASRock Rack E3C236D2I
CPU: Intel Pentium G4560
RAM: 1x Crucial CT16G4WFD8213 (16GB DDR4-2133 ECC UDIMM), may expand to 32GB later
HDD: 2x WD Red 4TB (mirrored), may add more mirrored vdevs later
PSU: Seasonic Focus+ 550W
Boot device: 2x SanDisk Ultra Fit 32GB (mirrored)

The reason I chose mirrored vdev over RAIDZ2 is that everything I put on the NAS is not urgently needed. I can always wait to restore from backup in case both drives died. It seems using mirrored vdev saves some upfront cost and makes it easier to expand the pool in the future.

One question is that, is the RAM compatible with the CPU and motherboard I chose? I saw it being used in another LGA1151 build but it has a different CPU and motherboard. Right now I don't see ASRock E3C236D2I listed in the compatibility checker on crucial.com .

For the PSU, at the beginning I was thinking of getting the G-Series 450W, but then I saw that G-Series was replaced by Focus+ and it seems the Focus+ is both smaller and quieter (potentially fanless operation). Did anyone have experience with Focus+ PSUs?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Stux

MVP
I don't see anything wrong. You haven't specified your boot device though :)

I use a Corsair RM550x PSU in my Node 304 build with no problems. I checked the dimensions of your proposed PSU, and it should fit well. The RAM looks compatible to me too.

I dislike that mobo because of the 32GB ram limitation, but other than stepping up to a Xeon D board, it really is the only decent alternative.

ChriZ

Patron
Well, crucial lists E3C236D4U as compatible with your selected RAM, so it should also be compatible with your motherboard (AFAIU it is the same motherboard in a different form factor)

Max Ng

Cadet
I don't see anything wrong. You haven't specified your boot device though :)

Ah you're right. I'm thinking of 2 USB sticks mirrored, perhaps the SanDisk Ultra Fit 32GB.

I use a Corsair RM550x PSU in my Node 304 build with no problems. I checked the dimensions of your proposed PSU, and it should fit well. The RAM looks compatible to me too.

That's great to hear, thanks!

I dislike that mobo because of the 32GB ram limitation, but other than stepping up to a Xeon D board, it really is the only decent alternative.

Yeah indeed. I hope 32GB will be enough for me and hope the IPMI w/ KVM works well.

Well, crucial lists E3C236D4U as compatible with your selected RAM, so it should also be compatible with your motherboard (AFAIU it is the same motherboard in a different form factor)

Thank you, that's interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.