migration to new system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miltos_K

Cadet
Hi all,
I have been using freeNas quite some time now, have set everything up by the book, and pretty happy with it.

Now, I'm preparing to migrate to a new machine, I have everything figured out, but a little question...

At the moment due to restrictions and for safety purpose, I running my .system dataset on my Raidz2 data pool.

My disks will be migrated to a totally new system and new installation of freeNas system,
so here comes the question, my new system will create a new dataset to run,
but happens to old system dataset that was into these disk drives?

Is there any action that I should take? Will it be taken care of the operating system automatically?
Or should I move the system dataset to boot drive, before I do the migration?

Any thoughts?

m0nkey_

MVP
Migration to a new system is easy. You can either backup the config, perform a new install and restore the config, or you can simply move your boot drive to the new system.

Either way, you will have to reconfigure the NIC.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Well, you may have to reconfigure the NIC. If the new system uses the same NIC driver as the old system, probably not.

Miltos_K

Cadet
Migration to a new system is easy. You can either backup the config, perform a new install and restore the config, or you can simply move your boot drive to the new system.

At the old system, boot drive is a micro-SD card.
But in the new system planing to fit two small mirrored SSDs, so I will install freeNAS from scratch.

I will configure the new installation by my needs, and only move the HDDs from old system to new.

But what happens to old system dataset that the disks bring with them from old system to new?

m0nkey_

MVP
Backup and restore your config on the new system, prior to importing the pool. When the old config boots, it will import your pool as normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.