Best Option to Migrate Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

kranzel

Explorer
Hi All,

I have my new Freenas Corral system up and running and testing on hardware and drives are complete. Now comes the next big question, how do I get my data from my old NAS to my New NAS?

I have spent sometime looking around the forums and the general recommendations seem split between RSYNC and ZFS Copy.

However, the posts generally seem focused around moving the whole structure as is from one side to the other. My desire is slightly different.

When setting up my first freenas system, I didn't really understand ZFS all that well. Not that I am an expert now or anything. However, when I first setup my system, I just made one Dataset and have all my files under it.

EX:
Pool
Dataset
File Folder 1
File Folder 2
Etc

I then shared the whole dataset as one giant share.

My new build I have broken down into multiple Datasets and plan to divide that data accordingly.

Pool
Dataset=Media
Various media files
Dataset=General
Various Document Files

So, my question is, what would be the best solution to move selected folders/files from my old system into specific data sets in my new system?

Old system is running 9.10U2
New System is Corral 10.0.4

I will be transfering the data over my 1Gbps network.

1. Please read up on Corral before you do anything. It has been deprecated in favor of 9.10/11.

2. Do you have enough pool space on the target machine to snapshot/replicate the data as it is then move it into the new pools as you like? If so, that's a good method if you must not turn off the primary server during the migration.

3. If you can take the primary offline during the migration, I'd physically attach the current ZFS pools to the new server, rsync the data then disconnect the old pools. Far faster than copying over the network.

Cheers,
Matt

Last edited by a moderator:

kranzel

Explorer
@MatthewSteinhoff
1. Please read up on Corral before you do anything. It has been deprecated in favor of 9.10/11.
I did not know this. Thank you so much. I thought it was weird that between my initial install and this post, that all references to Corral seemed to be removed. I thought it was just an attempt to merge it into the regular operations. You have saved me a lot of sadness. :)

2. Do you have enough pool space on the target machine to snapshot/replicate the data as it is then move it into the new pools as you like? If so, that's a good method if you must not turn off the primary server during the migration.
Yes I have sufficient space in the new build.

3. If you can take the primary offline during the migration, I'd physically attach the current ZFS pools to the new server, rsync the data then disconnect the old pools. Far faster than copying over the network.
My new build does not have enough Sata ports, nor chassis space to support both sets of drives at the same time unfortunately.

However, the initial idea behind this whole process was that I needed more space and my current hardware was consumer grade stuff, non-ecc RAM, etc. My new system is all up to snuff as it were.

That being said, the initial idea was, install Corral clean, import data and go from there.

However, with Corral going away, maybe this makes more sense. Let me know what you think.

1. The old NAS has 7 x 3TB WD RED drives in it and the new one has 6 x 8TB WD RED drives.
2. I have access to an 8 port HBA.
3. Install FreeNAS 9.10 on the new system.
4. Add the HBA.
5. Shut down old system.
6. Take the 7x3TB WD RED drives out of the old system and connect them via to the HBA in the new system. Granted at this point, the case will be opened and it will look like system just upchucked a bunch of HDD's. :)
7. Import the existing pool into the new build.
8. RSYNC the data to the new pool.
9. Disconnect the old pool and close up the case, walk away happy happy?

I'd go with that plan, @kranzel. It allows you to transfer the data at the maximum possible speed, not limited by network throughput. It also gives you the additional protection of ECC RAM while all that data is flying around.

What are you doing with the seven 3TB drives after the move? Are you sure you don't want to upgrade to a larger case so you have have all the drives active in your new world?

Cheers,
Matt

kranzel

Explorer
What are you doing with the seven 3TB drives after the move? Are you sure you don't want to upgrade to a larger case so you have have all the drives active in your new world?

I thought about this. I had originally bought a Norco 24 bay Hot-Swapable case. But the entire backplane was DOA. Then I started looking around and found this to be a common issue with the Norco cases. I then started looking at the cost of more quality cases and the price difference is rather significant. So in the end, I figured I would just stick with the standard case and the onboard Sata ports of the super-micro board.

Status
Not open for further replies.