Migrating from HP P800 Raid controller to IBM 1015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiljo

Cadet
I've been using Freenas for a couple of years and found it a reliable storage solution. I started with consumer grade hardware, but switched to Enterprise hardware for the obvious reasons.

My current config:
HP Proliant ML350 G5
Xeon 5400 series Processor
16 gb ECC RAM (max)
HP Smartarray P800
* My Zpool has approx 1 TB of 'valuable' data on it, of wich I create and test backups before proceeding with the migration.

Currently the array is running on a JBOD configured HP P800 Raid controller. (it's crap for ZFS, NEVER use it for this puposse ) :)

4x 3TB Barracuda's are running in a RaidZ2 setup.
1 Disk is spare
1 120GB SSD for caching
1 30GB ssd for boot.

Since the P800 will not support disks >2,2TB.
The current disks are 3TB each just using 2,2 TB as that is the controller's max.

I bought a IBM 1015, and want to migrate the ZFS Pool to the new controller and use the 0,8TB that is now not used because of the P800 limits.

I've read the manuals regarding growing ZFS pools by replacing disks, resilver them one by one.
I have 2 spare disks at disposal, same kind 3tb baracuda.

My question is how to proceed :

1 - Move all disks to M1015 controller at once then replace 1 disk with a reformatted 3tb unit

2 - Move 1 disk at a time to the M1015 , format and then resilver it and migrate the zpool.

Anyone familiar with this matter? I've read the manual but it does not describe the migration to another controller.

titan_rw

Guru
The HP raid controller likely has the disks configured such that they won't work on other controllers.

Perform your backup, test it, change controllers, and redo your pool from scratch. Then restore your backup.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So I'd migrate one disk over to the M1015. If it's picked up and "just works" without resilvering then you can safely shutdown and move the rest of the disks. However, if you do have to resilver you're going to have to resilver one at a time as you move over to the M1015. ;)

Hiljo

Cadet
Ok guys, thanks for the thoughts and advice. Ill try it with one disk and submit the results.

Hiljo

Cadet
The HP raid controller likely has the disks configured such that they won't work on other controllers.

Perform your backup, test it, change controllers, and redo your pool from scratch. Then restore your backup.
Just as I was running down old threads, to complete the information :

If the disks are "JBOD" configured by the P-800, you can swap them to a M1015 as a whole, and it will not have problems on your pool. Resilvering the disks 1 by one by replacement in FreeNAS. I succesfully moved the JBOD disk pool to the M1015 without issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.