Middleware failed to start

svetter

Cadet
I had downloaded the latest FreeNAS-11.2U2 and U3 files and extracted the ISO files on a USB stick. I Rebooted then ran each of these to install to another USB stick. These were each a clean install wiping out the contents each time. On booting each of these varients I get the message: Middlewared failed to start. Then later on the message appears of: Failed to run middleware call. Daemon not running? Don't get any fancy GUI just like a terminal interaction. Didn't go further due to the messages.

Any idea what is wrong with the U2 and U3 variants? Looking forward to give FreeNAS a whirl...

Thank you

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The forum rules ask for hardware details not because we like to erect barriers to keep people away from help, but because it is important information if we are to provide useful advice.

svetter

Cadet
What I have for a system, a test system at that, is: an MSI motherboard with a quad core I5-2400 cpu/3.10 Ghz, 16384 Mb memory, a DVD drive on Sata port2 and a Western Digital Hard drive on port1, Legacy USb support turned on, and USB 3.0 activated. The USB sticks were plugged into a USB hub.

Hope this helps!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
How did you write the ISO to the flash drive?

svetter

Cadet
Per the FreeNAS documentation, section 2.2.1. Used the command:
dd bs=4M if=FreeNAS-11.2-U3.iso of=/dev/sdb
Ran from my OpenSuSE system.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Can you get us a capture of the boot process up until it fails?

svetter

Cadet
Would be happy to provide such. Does the OS allow a capture of the boot messages? In thinking about it, can FreeNAS run under VMWare or some such?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
A VM tends to defeat the purpose, since the software itself works for a lot of people, but options include capturing the screen and setting up a serial console that consumes the BIOS video output.