Memory usage issue

microhard

Cadet
Greeting,
as the first one, I am new to this world of truenas, so I apologize if I asked a banal question.

Namely, I use only one Nextcloud plugin.
I noticed that the memory of the service is very high when uploading data to Nextcloud.
I don't know why services use so much RAM? Is this normal?
The problem is that if someone sends data to the server, while someone else wants to view the data, it is terribly slow.

Any recommendations or do I have to buy memory?

Thanks a lot.
Screenshot_2.png

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The amount of memory in your system is too low. 16 GB is the recommended minimum, better have 32 if you want to run applications like Nextcloud in addition to basic NAS services.

Plugins on Core are deprecated, and will outright be removed next year.

To use "Apps" on Core, you need to create and manage your own custom jails. (There are also user-contributed scripts to help in the process.)

microhard

Cadet
Plugins on Core are deprecated, and will outright be removed next year.

To use "Apps" on Core, you need to create and manage your own custom jails. (There are also user-contributed scripts to help in the process.)
Ok. I think that I understand you.
What do you suggest to use a better Core or Scale? If Scale which version?
Thanks.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
What do you suggest for hardware to use?
Depends. How many disk drives do you want to connect? How fast is your network? Do you need/want NVMe SSDs in addition or instead of spinning drives, ... there is no limit in throwing ever more money at a NAS system. The challenge is to find one that suits your needs.

I'm a big fan of the Supermicro A2SDi line of boards and the small "cube" enclosures they also offer. But these might already be too expensive (at least new) for some people. See my signature for some ideas.

Etorix

Wizard
Any recommendations or do I have to buy memory?
We'd need to know of your current hardware and your requirements to make suggestions.
But the basic recommendation is to get more RAM.

Oh, and I see a 're0' interface so the basic becomes: Get more RAM and an Intel (or Chelsio) NIC.