Maximum amount of space useable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tywin

Contributor
Well, the GUI warning about capacity of the pool is based on #1, the raw drives.
[...]
https://github.com/freenas/freenas/blob/master/gui/system/alertmods/zpool_capacity.py

Cool, thanks for looking that up :)

ZFS won't ever shred data, but it does have a failure mode where if you actually manage to fill a pool to 100%, you might not be able to commit the writes that are needed in order to update metadata to remove files to clear space. So you really do want to avoid hitting 100%.

Good to hear about the not shredding data ;) As for 100%, I will take this opportunity to remind people about space reservation.

95% of pool capacity, period. See "zpool list."

Awesome, thanks :)

Mlovelace

Guru
Pretty sure it will be #2.

This is silly though. Going to argue how to maximize performance, then try not to hit that dreaded 95%. Hilarious because if you truly cared about performance you'd be look at 80%, period.

Feel free to cut off your nose despite your face. Won't make you look any better though.

It's "cut off your nose to spite your face" not despite... I agree with your statement though. :)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
140617_QUO_voldemort.jpg.CROP.promo-mediumlarge.jpg

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah. Auto-correct got me there. Fairly funny what it corrected it to though. :P

adrianwi

Guru
All sorted itself out once the snapshots expired and now back below 80%, although only just :D

Components ordered for the new FreeNAS box so should be closer to 50% soon....

Status
Not open for further replies.