Making ZIL and L2ARC - Did I screw up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfishernc

Dabbler
I upgraded to 8.3 this weekend, and planned to use 2 20GB SSDs - 1 for a ZIL and 1 for a L2ARC.

I went into Volume Manager, selected my Volume to Extend (ZFS1) and picked one of my SSDs (ada4 iirc) selected to make it a Cache. It worked for about 15-30 seconds and returned control to me.

I went back to Volume Manager to add the ZIL and the other drive is gone. Hmmm. So I went into View Volumes - Volume Status to see what's up and (see attached image) this is what I have.

To me - that looks like my second 20GB drive is now a stripe of my ZFS1 pool? Or is that what it should look like and it automatically made it a ZIL??

Any ideas what I did wrong? or is this correct and I now have my 2 SSDs acting as a ZIL and a L2ARC?

Thanks!

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 222

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It looks like ada2 is now a stripe on your zpool. I'm not sure if your ada2 is your SSD, you'll have to figure that out. However, ada2 is your single point of failure. If ada2 fails you lose your zpool. You cannot remove it. If you read my guide(link in my sig) you'll see you made the mistake I explained in my guide as a "do not do". ;)

Your only solution is to destroy the zpool and recreate it from scratch. You definitely will want backups ;)

bfishernc

Dabbler
thanks noobsauce - I thought it was wrong. I suspected as much but your confirmation helped me know for certain. It is an easy mistake to make (I believe).

I destroyed and rebuilt it this morning using my 4 drives and 2 SSDs as desired. I appreciate the confirmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.