Making Backup into Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been backing up via replication to a FreeNAS-11.1-U2 server ("Backup"). Now I need to rebuild my original server ("Prod") and switch over to Backup as my production server.
I assume at cutover I stop all replication on Prod and run zfs set readonly=off <volume> on Backup? Anything else?
Can I switch over gradually? I want to configure Transmission on Backup and start using it writing to one of the replicated datasets. Now when I have typed it I realise that I can stop replication on this particular dataset and start using it. Am I correct?
Thank you!

I have been backing up via replication to a FreeNAS-11.1-U2 server ("Backup"). Now I need to rebuild my original server ("Prod") and switch over to Backup as my production server.
I assume at cutover I stop all replication on Prod and run zfs set readonly=off <volume> on Backup? Anything else?
Can I switch over gradually? I want to configure Transmission on Backup and start using it writing to one of the replicated datasets. Now when I have typed it I realise that I can stop replication on this particular dataset and start using it. Am I correct?
Thank you!
That all sounds fine. The only extra thing I would add is to delete the replication and NOT just disable it to be extra safe. The reason being is if for some bizarre reason after you have moved over to your backup you decide to boot your OLD primary in its current state with replication enabled it will wipe out all of the changes you made on your second system and that would make you sad :(

Status
Not open for further replies.