LSI/Avago HBA - no boot from anything but a single mirror

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Hi all,

this is not a TrueNAS system but plain FreeBSD, but the density of people "knowing this stuff" in this forum is quite high, so please permit me to give it a shot.
  • Supermicro systems with onboard LSI/Avago SAS HBA
  • HBA flashed to IT mode
  • SATA SSDs connected and working
  • Booting from a single mirror pool works fine
  • As soon as there is more than the first disk necessary to read the kernel from the pool the system won't boot
  • Independent of EFI or legacy boot - the boot loader starts fine, but cannot load the kernel
The system refusing to boot (2x mirror) looks like this on the console:
Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-06 um 11.14.04.png

I suspect this to be the reason:
Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-06 um 11.25.26.png

How can I tell the Avago HBA to present all 4 drives to the BIOS? Trying to invoke the builtin config utility via Ctrl-C leads to a system hanging with "DXE--Legacy OPROM Initialization.._" and no progress. The HBA does not offer to invoke the "WebBIOS" with Ctrl-H - probably intentionally because IT mode.

Thanks for any hints,
Patrick

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Is it remotely possible that an IT mode HBA can generally boot from the first drive only?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Is it remotely possible that an IT mode HBA can generally boot from the first drive only?

No, but it's totally possible that the option ROM (the thing that runs during BIOS POST) is not recognizing what's going on if you didn't flash the ROM and are using the Supermicro ROM image. It is this part of the system that is responsible for populating the boot device list for the BIOS.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I flashed the device with a 16.00 version IT mode firmware I received from Supermicro after I opened a support ticket. Re-flash with Avago?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well, I would suspect the problem to be the option ROM, not the firmware. I can understand if you're hesitant to mess with that.

I have a bunch of Supermicro systems for one client where we can't update the BIOS to latest or else the Dell LSI RAID controllers lock up the system during POST (which indicates some option ROM B/S going on). I have battled this stuff for years and I often find solutions only after extensive experimentation and lots of wasted time. I'll be happy to buy you a beer and discuss frustrations sometime. ;-)

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Thanks for your support. For the moment we decided to use only single mirror boot pools in these chassis. We have a handful of them, bought at a time when no other systems without an integrated LSI HBA were available.