Looking for the "easiest" method to migrate from a QNAP...

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFuzz89

Dabbler
Hello!

I just set up a brand new FreeNAS box to migrate from an aging QNAP. My setup is not very complex at all - one user account and a bunch of shares.

However, my attempts to migrate from my QNAP (running latest QoS) to FreeNAS 9.10u2 have been futile using RSYNC, which I figured would be the easiest method.

Essentially, I've enabled the RSYNC server on the FreeNAS box, I've setup a shared module - called "Stuff" and I've enabled access to it via the FreeNAS UI, set up the path properly and for user used my newly created user (i.e. mcfuzz89 as username and mcufzz89 as group). Access mode is RW.

On the QNAP box, I've set up a connection (which is successful) and once I fire up the task, I can see the folders created on the FreeNAS share, however no files are copying over. FreeNAS console reports the following:

Code:
Mar 19 04:12:52 freenas rsyncd[6708]: rsync: mkstemp "filename.extension.WwuItl" (in Stuff) failed: Operation not permitted (1) 

I dug around and found a link indicating this was a known bug that was supposed to be fixed about 10 months ago (and marked as fixed), however - it still appears to occur on my end. In fact, I can't seem to be able to do rsync via shell either... a simple sync with one folder (containing one file) is not going through.

Could someone point me in the right direction on how to successfully sync between the two?

Thanks!

McFuzz89

Dabbler
How are the permissions on the fn dataset?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Permissions appears to be correct. I tried both Unix and Windows permission types for the dataset - no dice.

I just noticed something very interesting when I changed the permission type for the dataset to Unix, gave it 777 permissions across the board (recursively; for testing):

Code:
Mar 19 13:36:24 freenas notifier: chmod: /mnt/MainShare/Stuff: Operation not permitted

Any ideas?

McFuzz89

Dabbler
OK - I've no idea what just happened but it started working!

Here's what I've done:

Changed dataset to UNIX type; gave it 777 permissions across the board.
Changed dataset permissions from user:user to user:wheel.
Profit?

Viggen73

Cadet
Hi there,
Reviving this topic I'm having exactly the same issues... I've tried changing the owner to root group wheel for the dataset and nothing works... I'm migrating from QNAP TS412U. I'm on the verge of destroying the dataset...
My build is not as simple as McFuzz because both are domain connected and I'm trying to copy the shares I have on QNAP to the freenas via rsync since it's the easiest automated way to do it...
Does anyone have an idea why is not working?
Many thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.