Looking for a solution to hosting SVN server and MySQL server and database on Freenas.

Apollo

Wizard
Hi folks,

I have a need for the following:
I need to setup a server to host SVN repositories, something similar to SVNServe but which could run either in iocage jail or VM Linux on Freenas.
I also need to create a MySQL type database and hosted by Freenas.

Do any of you out there could suggest some venue on how to implement such setup?

This is going to be implemented on a 1900x Threadripper running Freenas 11.2 at the time of this writing.

Thanks.

blanchet

Guru
If the service is accessible
  • only from the local network, create an iocage jail and mount the repository dataset inside
  • from Internet, create a Linux VM with virtio disks and network. mount the repository dataset with NFS. Do not forget setup firewall + fail2ban
For Linux VM, I suggest Debian because it is easy to manage and has a small footprint. Nevertheless, Ubuntu Server or CentOS 7 will work also.
  • For SVN
    • Apache + mod_dav_svn, then you delegate the authentication to Apache. In my case, I use example LDAP authentication.
    • You can also install websvn to browse the SVN repository with a nicer user interface
  • For GIT
    • Instead of SVN, if you wish to use git, you can install GitLab. Maintening GitLab on FreeBSD is very painful, therefore a Linux VM is the viable option. Though you can try the FreeNAS GitLab plugin to see if you like GitLab..
  • For MySQL
    • install MariaDB + Apache + phpMyAdmin. There are hundred of tutorials on the web.