SMB share and Mysql service database directory

Solway

Dabbler
Hi all

Im having a issue with a Mysql service starting when the datadir pointed to the freenas SMB share. Cant for the life of me figure out whats wrong.
It seems to be a freenas perimission thing i think, not mysql issue.?

Currently i have a Mysql database running on a windows 10 pc. The datadir has been redirected to a old SMBv1 nas box.
The Mysql uses the login of the user to the NAS box. all works fines.

BUT i need to get rid of the old NAS box and now redirect the datadir FREENAS box with SMB share.

Redirecting this "datadir" back to a local windows 10 folder. the mysql works fine!

However when directing this to the FREENAS share, the service can not start (think its permissions issue)

The FREENAS users get authorized via a Windows Server 2019 active directory in a domain.

for example domain user is usersql@abc.local
usersql@abc.local is part of domain admins group

windows 10 can login with this "usersql@abc.local" on the share and has full permissions. Same will all other users.

Changing the mysql service to run as "usersql@abc.local" and pointing the datadir to this...
the service will not start....???

The FREENAS dataset has perssions set as:
ACL=windows
User=ABC/Administrator
Group=ABC\domain admins

usersql@abc.local is part of domain admins!

SMB service has the following aux parameters:
nfs4:mode = simple
ea support = no
store dos attributes = no
map archive = no
map hidden = no
map readonly = no
map system = no

does anyone know whats wrong?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You might find that you need to do some custom attributes on the share to get that to work with the right kind of locking for the database to get the right kind of file access.

As a general rule, databases and SMB shares are not good partners.

Solway

Dabbler
You might find that you need to do some custom attributes on the share to get that to work with the right kind of locking for the database to get the right kind of file access.

As a general rule, databases and SMB shares are not good partners.
completely new to this.

the mysql worked on the old NAS (not freenas) without issues.
just dont know why it cant work on this with AD auth?

sretalla