Looking for 8-bay mini-ITX NAS chassis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sword7

Cadet
I spent many hours to trying to find a 8-bay mini-ITX NAS chassis through google or Amazon. I found a few different chassis:

SilverStone CS01-HS (6-bay)
SilverStone D380
U-NAS NSC-800
Norco ITX-S8

Does anyone have any experience with one of above? I am now considering about Norco ITX-S8 or SilverStone CS01-HS. However, many vendors do not sell that model execept Norco's own store. They are only selling ITX-S4 (4-bay case). That's why I am looking for 6 to 12 bay DIY NAS chassis.

Thanks,
Sword7

INCSlayer

Contributor
well quite a few people here have the DS380 or the U-NAS NSC-800

i myself have the DS380 and im quite happy with it it can fit both mini-itx and the "extended" mini-itx that the Asrock E3C224D4I-14S
it fits SFX (and SFX-L) style PSUs
In my opinion its a nice enough case to use as a small 8-bay home nas

I have seen nice things from the U-NAS NSC-80, it would be one of my choices but i would change out the fans to noctua's

j_r0dd

Contributor
Lian-Li PC-Q26

DataKeeper

Patron
For a small desk/shelf-top build I really like the U-NAS case followed by the DS380 cases with appropriate low powered components to generate as little heat as possible. From the U-NAS reviews I've read it seems to have somewhat better cooling over the DS380, which also has those capacitors to deal with during installation. While I see them as an annoyance during initial install, requiring a bit more care, I'd certainly not discount the case for that alone.

That Lian-Li case is nice however requires you to order additional parts for full hot swap feature plus moving the case and side panel removal to access the drives. Again, nice quality case but not in the same class as the others.

If I were building an 8 drive system I'd likely use the U-NAS case.

DataKeeper

Patron
I really can't stress the importance of low power / less heat components in any of these dense systems. Added to that is the ambient temperature of the room it's being placed in. A friend has his home office upstairs with 4 28" monitors, a 60" smart tv, a ceiling mounted projector, a complete stereo system, etc, etc and it's usually all powered on 24/7. You walk into that room and it's hotter then hell even with the house AC running!

He had an 8 bay nas and had to move it into the basement as the room temperature was simply too hot.

Sword7

Cadet

i myself have the DS380 and im quite happy with it it can fit both mini-itx and the "extended" mini-itx that the Asrock E3C224D4I-14S

Well I narrowed down to ASRock E3C224D4I-14S motherboard after I compared many mini-ITX motherboards. I narrowed down to a few cases - SilverStone DS380, U-NAS NSC-800, and Norco ITX-S8 chassis cases.

Ok, I have another question about that ASRock motherboard. Can E3C224D4I-14S fit U-NAS NSC-800 chassis? How about Norco ITX-S8 chassis?

Thanks again!!
Sword7

INCSlayer

Contributor
Well I narrowed down to ASRock E3C224D4I-14S motherboard after I compared many mini-ITX motherboards. I narrowed down to a few cases - SilverStone DS380, U-NAS NSC-800, and Norco ITX-S8 chassis cases.

Ok, I have another question about that ASRock motherboard. Can E3C224D4I-14S fit U-NAS NSC-800 chassis? How about Norco ITX-S8 chassis?

Thanks again!!
Sword7

The E3C224D4I-14S is 8.4 by 6.7 inches and acording to their respective websites neither the U-NAS NSC-800 nor the Norco ITX-S8 fits any motherboards that are bigger than 6.7 by 6.7 inches.
according to this post Lian Li PC-Q26 and ASRock E3C224D4I-14S it fits into the Lian Li PC-Q26 aswell

ShimadaRiku

Contributor
The E3C224D4I-14S is 8.4 by 6.7 inches and acording to their respective websites neither the U-NAS NSC-800 nor the Norco ITX-S8 fits any motherboards that are bigger than 6.7 by 6.7 inches.
according to this post Lian Li PC-Q26 and ASRock E3C224D4I-14S it fits into the Lian Li PC-Q26 aswell

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=32704.0 this person built using a NSC-800 with the ASRock E3C224D4I-14S

btw, where can you buy the NSC-800? Only direct from u-nas.com?

gregerg

Dabbler
The CS01-HS does not fit anything larger than 6.7 x 6.7 either. Just checked with SilverStone.

ShimadaRiku

Contributor

You sure the DS380 can fit the extended-itx Asrock E3C224D4I-14S with a sfx psu installed?
Individually, the mobo OR psu will fit, but not both together. Asrock made a facebook post showing it doesn't fit.

Dave Genton

Contributor
I spent many hours to trying to find a 8-bay mini-ITX NAS chassis through google or Amazon. I found a few different chassis:

SilverStone CS01-HS (6-bay)
SilverStone D380
U-NAS NSC-800
Norco ITX-S8

Does anyone have any experience with one of above? I am now considering about Norco ITX-S8 or SilverStone CS01-HS. However, many vendors do not sell that model execept Norco's own store. They are only selling ITX-S4 (4-bay case). That's why I am looking for 6 to 12 bay DIY NAS chassis.

Thanks,
Sword7

I purchased a FreeNAS Mini and after 2 days ordered the Silverstone DS380 and SFX Gold P/S, swapped out the Motherboard, CPU, Ram, and HDDs from the Mini, placed all comfortably into the DS380 Case with a total of 6 Hard Drives and 4 SSD's. I left the molded Blue SATA cables in the FreeNAS Mini case, and actually listing entire setup on ebay now, leaving all intact incase I wanted to move back. I used my own cables etc but this new Mini is MUCH quieter, MUCH cooler running, and I have RaidZ2 on 32TB of Storage, plus the SSD's for ZIL, L2arc, and Jails AND room to expand to RaidZ3 on 8 drives like my full size Xeon FreeNAS shall I require it. I just couldn't stick with only 4 drives for single redundancy, dual drive wasnt enough storage even with 6TB Red drives. The power supply in the original case is source of most of the fan noise, not the fan itself which I swapped for Noctua anyways, so the bigger, better, more silent SFX power supply with short cable kit sealed the deal for me !! LOVE IT !

Stux

MVP
Also UNAS 810 and 810A are available now. 810 is an improve mini ITX case. 810A is similar but takes mATX boards!

DS380 has a reputation for cooking drives without ducting mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.