Long time lurker, first time poster!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joo Chung

Dabbler
I had been watching FreeNAS and ZFS for quite a number of years and finally took the plunge the past couple weeks with my first FreeNAS build. This is after having spent the better part of a decade using Ubuntu Server as my backup server.

My first FreeNAS build....
  • Intel Core i3-4330
  • Supermicro MBD-X10SAT-O
  • 2 x 8GB DDR 1600 ECC SDRAM
  • Rosewill RSV-L4411 case
  • SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W PSU
  • 2 x IBM ServeRAID M1015 (crossflashed to IT mode)
  • 12 x 2TB SATA drives (Mix of WD and Samsung)
  • 16GB USB Flash Drive to boot FreeNAS
I originally had specced out a consumer level motherboard and non-ECC ram, but after reading the posts on ECC and ZFS, I canceled that order and instead bought the Supermicro motherboard and the ECC ram.

I currently have 3 drives attached per SAS port on the M1015s. So 6 drives per M1015. I have them in two VDEVs of 6 x 2TB RAIDZ2. And the spool striped across the two VDEVs. From what I read, this seems to be a reasonable configuration. I have a couple spare 2TB drives lying around in case of drive failure.

I just finished putting it all together last night so haven't had much time to test and tune, which I expect to do over the next couple weeks before I put the server into service.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Welcome! Use the docs that are available at doc.freenas.org. I print out the full PDF and put it in a binder to use. You can do what you want. But the PDF is easy and searchable so you should have no problems if you get lost. :)

Glad you checked out the stickies. They can answer many questions and prevent many accidents. You'll be much happer with the stuff you bought than the stuff you almost bought.

madrone

Cadet
Hi, I'm considering that board for my first build - how's it working out for you? any pros/cons I should be aware of? thanks

Joo Chung

Dabbler
The board has been working great for me. No cons that I can think of. Size isn't an issue because my case is quite large. I had originally intended to use the built-in SATA ports but I ended up getting the IBM controllers instead.

Although... I think in the future I would go with a motherboard that has IPMI to facilitate remote management. That way I don't have to go down into my basement as often. Not that I have to go down often now as it is.

austin janey

Dabbler
hi im also considering the SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SAT-O and wanted to check out how yours has served you still running? run into any issues?

Joo Chung

Dabbler
Sorry its taken me a while to reply. No issues so far. I just replaced a failing drive. But thats the drive and not the motherboard. Motherboard has been solid as far as I can tell. The resilvering of the replaced drive took less than 5 hrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.