Short-time lurker, first-time* poster

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Bowman

Cadet
A while back, I overheard someone say of FreeNAS, "you didn't know you had a problem until you are shown the solution." Then I started thinking about what problems I could solve:
  • I've started taking a lot more photos the last two years for some reason. My wife has, too. My daughter hasn't, but she's not quite two years old.
  • We've got a lot of music, and don't listen to it much because most of it is on CD. Ripping it all to disk just takes time, but it also takes storage, and then it's still only in one place.
  • I'm not great about doing backups that aren't automated. My wife is worse. We've both lost stuff we can't get back.
There's more, but basically I concluded that having a server will improve my life. It's mostly for storage, but I also plan to have a Windows VM, and likely a media server running at some point.
The build is fine so far, except for the part where one of the drives was DOA and is headed back to Newegg. I'll be out of town when the replacement comes, so I'm debating whether to just start up now and add in a new drive later, or whether that is a Bad Idea.
Anyway, that's my story. Hi.

* This is actually my third post. But it's my first created thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.