Login on NFS share from OSX 10.11, can not choose user

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimK

Cadet
Hi
I am NOT experienced in this and have tried searching for answers to this with no luck..
If anybody have the patience to aid me a little that would be apreciated! :)

My issue:
I was trying to get the share working as follows:
Everybody should be able to connect and see/use files in "share 1", but not delete anything. This should require log in by privileged user. Also, everybody should see that the "share 2" exists, but not be able to connect to it to see files/folders inside.

I tried creating some shares and users and groups to test out how the system reacted to the different setting to get to understand the nfs/unix user system. Didn´t really understand this yet, it doesn´t seem to straight forward for the unexperienced..

I could at first see the server when i browsed the "Network" in finder, when i clicked on it i could choose who i would log on as (guest or registered user).

I tried lots of settings on the server side and started too get a little feel of how things where working, but somewhere along the line i must´ve added something to my OSX settings, because suddenly i couldn´t see the server anymore in finder. I tried to connect with the "command+K" option, entered the server adress and folder to mount. This works, but i cant choose user anymore?! And it seems to connect as whatever the server requires to view everything, but not add or delete files or folders.

Where is this setting hidden in OSX? How can i get the option too choose user to logon the server with again?

I even tried changing the user and groups on the share, but it just connects anyway, but only view..

I searched a lot of hours trying to find someone with the same problem, but no luck.. Really have no idea what search phrase i should use to find this kind of issue.
Tried looking into Directory Utlity, no luck, tried too see if there where any settings i´ve changed in NFS manager (I believe it was after this was installed everything got messed up..) but nothing i´ve tried resets this automagical logon to the mounted server share..

I hope i managed to explain myself so that this is understandable?!

Anybody cares to help, in advance:Thank you!! I´m ripping out my hair on this thing..

Going to the gym now to get some frustration out, so i wont reply immediately ;)

K

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is there a reason you're using NFS? Because as I understand it, there is no concept of a login with NFS, where you can log in as one user or another with different permissions. I think you'd be better off using CIFS instead.

KimK

Cadet
Only that it is faster, and it will work well with my android, linux and OSX units once everything is set up, and that the windows system is less desirable. I read somewere some stuff about the differences and advantages.

But, there must be some sort of login as well, because if i use for instance an app on my phone to browse to the NFS share, I have to give up a user name and password (And it works well there) to acces it. I think that there is something like that if you match your user names etc with server and client it will just connect.

The matter of setting this up is probably gonna require a steep learning curve, but thats what makes it interesting ;)

What i really need help with for now is to figure out why the fudge!! OSX suddenly have removed the option to choose what user I want to log in to the share with, and also why it is not visible to OSX in the network anymore. I can´t seem to find any good search phrase to find out about this either, that´s why I´m asking for some assistance here. MAYBE I will have better luck and should try on an OSX oriented forum? I´ll keep this open a littel while longer to see if any help comes along :)

The main idea for me, is that I have several systems running in my home, and properly set up i believe that NFS will be the best solution and most transparent for the different devices with different usernames etc. And of course the faster troughput is a nice bonus.

nojohnny101

Wizard
If I had to guess, I would say you accidental or unknowingly saved the password to your OS X keychain and so that is why it doesn't prompt you anymor to login.

Read here about how to access the keychain in OS X and once your find it, delete it and try connecting again.

danb35

Hall of Famer
On any hardware that would be remotely adequate for FreeNAS, your going to be bandwidth-limited whether using CIFS, NFS, or AFP--I don't believe NFS is faster in any meaningful sense on a FreeNAS box. I'm not sure why you believe that "the windows system is less desirable". It's pretty well supported, across a wide variety of platforms (certainly including Linux and Mac OSX; I can't directly speak to Android). It's very widely used, which means you're more likely to be able to get help for it.

I'm sorry I don't have a direct answer to your question, and I'm not really trying to talk you out of using NFS, but the reasons you give for using it don't seem to make sense to me. I do know that I have two Linux boxes that connect to NFS shares on my FreeNAS server, and don't use any kind of authentication at all to do so.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
1. nfs doesn't use any kind of authentication, unless you jump through the kerberos hoops. Not sure where you got that idea.
2. You keep calling them shares and 'seeing' them. nfs doesn't have shares it has exports and your normally don't 'see' them you have to manually mount them on the host.
3. It really sounds like you are using cifs not nfs. Can you post screenshots of what you configured on Freenas?
4. In OSX if you are using smb/cifs in the upper right corner of the file browser there is a 'connect as' button you can click to change the user.
5. Can you post your hardware and freenas version please.

KimK

Cadet
Hi, sorry for the late reply, busy with work.
ojohnny101, Friday at 1:51 AM

If I had to guess, I would say you accidental or unknowingly saved the password to your OS X keychain and so that is why it doesn't prompt you anymor to login.

Read here about how to access the keychain in OS X and once your find it, delete it and try connecting again.

I tried searching trough the keychain, but dont really know what to look for. Most of the entries seem to be related to safari, couldnt really find anything on NFS log in.

SweetAndLow, Friday at 7:23 AM

1. nfs doesn't use any kind of authentication, unless you jump through the kerberos hoops. Not sure where you got that idea.
2. You keep calling them shares and 'seeing' them. nfs doesn't have shares it has exports and your normally don't 'see' them you have to manually mount them on the host.
3. It really sounds like you are using cifs not nfs. Can you post screenshots of what you configured on Freenas?
4. In OSX if you are using smb/cifs in the upper right corner of the file browser there is a 'connect as' button you can click to change the user.
5. Can you post your hardware and freenas version please.

Build FreeNAS-9.2.1.9-RELEASE-x64 || Platform Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 V3 @ 3.3GHz
Memory Crucial 1600Mhz 16301MB ECC CT2KIT102472BD160B || Chassis Fractal Design Node 304
Disk WD-Red - 6x3TB || Motherboard ASRock E3C226D2I || UPS CP1000CPFLCD

I will try to answer as good as i can :
1 : So if i understand this correctly, it means that if i set up a system on my network with the correct UIDnr and name, it will "log in" directly? I am sure i matched the user name and ID nr correctly, see screenshots.
BUT as you can see, there is a "logged in as: NFS" that i dont really get, Previously i was able to change user name here meaning i could choose to log on as guest or as registered user from this button.

Either way, if you see the screenshot showing that finder identifies me (kimkolvik) as the user WITH write and read rights, but still I am not able to add any folders or do anything in this nfs folder. Confused.. :confused:

2: Im sorry for not using the terminology correctly, still trying to grasp the subject at hand. All info is much appreciated! I do mount them manually, but as i said, previously i could choose who to log on as, i dont understand why this is "gone". I think it did happen after i attempted to use NFS manager to be able to "log in" as desired user automagically.. o_O Before this i always had to choose wether to continue as "Guest" or "registered user" I havent uninstalled it but have erased all the set ups that was made. Maybe there is something hidden in this app that causes the "log-on"?!

3: Screenshost posted. CIFS is turned off as you see. And user is the same on OSX and Freenas
4: You mean the left corner? As you can see on the screenshot?
5:
versjon FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201602031011
PlatformIntel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz
Memory32719MB
SystemtidMon Apr 25 17:34:28 CEST 2016
Oppetid5:34PM up 2 days, 4:23, 0 users
Gjennomsnittelig last0.04, 0.01, 0.00

[root@yggdrasil] ~# dmidecode

# dmidecode 2.12

SMBIOS 2.6 present.

101 structures occupying 3561 bytes.

Table at 0x000EAD50.

Handle 0x0000, DMI type 0, 24 bytes

BIOS Information

Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.

Version: 1904

Release Date: 08/09/2011

Address: 0xF0000

Runtime Size: 64 kB

ROM Size: 4096 kB

Characteristics:

PCI is supported

BIOS is upgradeable

BIOS shadowing is allowed

Boot from CD is supported

Selectable boot is supported

BIOS ROM is socketed

EDD is supported

5.25"/1.2 MB floppy services are supported (int 13h)

3.5"/720 kB floppy services are supported (int 13h)

3.5"/2.88 MB floppy services are supported (int 13h)

Print screen service is supported (int 5h)

8042 keyboard services are supported (int 9h)

Serial services are supported (int 14h)

Printer services are supported (int 17h)

ACPI is supported

USB legacy is supported

BIOS boot specification is supported

Targeted content distribution is supported

BIOS Revision: 4.6

Handle 0x0001, DMI type 1, 27 bytes

System Information

Manufacturer: System manufacturer

Product Name: System Product Name

Version: System Version

Serial Number: System Serial Number

UUID: 1E004000-008C-4E00-53D8-5404A66F084A

Wake-up Type: Power Switch

SKU Number: To be filled by O.E.M.

Family: To be filled by O.E.M.

Handle 0x0002, DMI type 2, 15 bytes

Base Board Information

Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.

Product Name: SABERTOOTH P67

Version: Rev 1.xx

Serial Number: MT701AK07003213

Asset Tag: To be filled by O.E.M.

Features:

Board is a hosting board

Board is replaceable

Location In Chassis: To be filled by O.E.M.

Chassis Handle: 0x0003

Type: Motherboard

Contained Object Handles: 0

Handle 0x0003, DMI type 3, 21 bytes

Chassis Information

Manufacturer: Chassis Manufacture

Type: Desktop

Lock: Not Present

Version: Chassis Version

Serial Number: Chassis Serial Number

Asset Tag: Asset-1234567890

Boot-up State: Safe

Power Supply State: Safe

Thermal State: Safe

Security Status: None

OEM Information: 0x00000000

Height: Unspecified

Number Of Power Cords: 1

Contained Elements: 0

Handle 0x0004, DMI type 4, 42 bytes

Processor Information

Socket Designation: LGA1155

Type: Central Processor

Family: Core 2 Duo

Manufacturer: Intel

ID: A7 06 02 00 FF FB EB BF

Signature: Type 0, Family 6, Model 42, Stepping 7

Version: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz

Voltage: 1.0 V

External Clock: 100 MHz

Max Speed: 3800 MHz

Current Speed: 3300 MHz

End Of Table
Screenshot%202016-04-25%2017.15.14.png

Screenshot%202016-04-25%2017.21.52.png

Screenshot%202016-04-25%2017.23.04.png

Screenshot%202016-04-25%2017.23.21.png

Screenshot%202016-04-25%2017.24.05.png

Hope the images turn up ok, posted them from the public folder on dropbox, i can see them on the preview :cool:

Sorry for the noob factor, and thanks for any help on this!! :D

PS: I see that the user on osx is in the "staff" group, should this be the same on freenas?

KimK

Cadet
Then I´m even more lost...

I tought that in these screenshots it indicates that i am logged in on the NFS share, and that i have read and write permissions?!
Screenshot%202016-04-25%2017.15.14%20copy.png
Screenshot%202016-04-25%2017.21.52%20copy.png

Exactly what does this info means then? And how can i "log in" to the mounted "share", is this just supposed to happen automatically, comparing the UID an user name with whatever is set up on the NFS share?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
It says you're connected to the NFS share. There is no login (user/pass) for an NFS share.

It says you have permission because your account UID/GID match what's on the server.

KimK

Cadet
Hi
yeah, i tried to match it up, same UID and same name as on the OSX machine. After SweetAndLow over here pointed that out, i made sure to match up these things.
Weird thing is, i cant create any folders or add any files?! Thats what puzzles me even more right now.

What should the mapall or maproot be set to? In the sharing settings on nfs?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
To blindly answer your question to make it work you can set mapall and maproot to the user who owns the dataset and files.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
For simplicity, set the Mapall User and Mapall Group to the owner and group of the dataset. Do not set the Maproot User and Maproot Group, unless you have a very good reason to do so.

KimK

Cadet
Hello, things are starting to work to some degree :)
I don´t understand the concept completely yet, but thanks for the input and help!
At least i THINK i am getting somewhere :P

I guess just experimenting and testing is the only way to go..

On a sidenote, if i activate a CIFS share, can i point this to the same shares that are my NFS shares? Without causing any conflicts?
Ideally, i´d like guest access to certain folders that are read-only, and a public folder of sorts that everybody can read/write in.

I´m currently testing out emby and plex plugins to see which one to use. Any recommendations?

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
if i activate a CIFS share, can i point this to the same shares that are my NFS shares?
Yes.
Without causing any conflicts?
No.
i´d like guest access to certain folders that are read-only
Well, in that case, yes.

In other words, if you only allow write access for one sharing method, you can allow read-only access for other sharing methods without risking your data.

Status
Not open for further replies.