SOLVED Locked self out/fixed with help! (thank you artlessknave) Bridged to igc0 and lost access (cant remove bridge in shell)

CBlack

Dabbler
So after adding the bridge to the interfaces and then restarted, I no longer have access to the NAS on the network. I still have physical access and boots up with no errors. I cant find any thing that is on the forum that give restores access.

I have went in and tried to use ifconfig bridge0 down but does not restore access.

So removing the bridge should be the fix but I am unable to find out how to do that on the shell commands.

Any guides on fixing my screw up would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

artlessknave

Wizard
this is not easy because they literally built a "Test network function" that prevents locking yourself out......which you seem to have decided to bypass by rebooting it immediately instead? there is no "network reset because of that, I assume.

as you haven't posted your hardware [a forum requirement] I have no idea what or how many NICs you have to work with, but just bringing the bridge down isn't going to help, because then the network would just be down, which is where you already are.

anyway. you need to either assign that bridge an IP or remove whatever interfaces you added to it.

this became a challenge and I started looking for CLI delete bridge and.....wow. that was annoying. and then so simple, because it's destroy not delete..
(change 1.1.1.1/24 to an IP in your local network)
Code:
ifconfig bridge666 1.1.1.1/24
Code:
ifconfig bridge666 remove
ifconfig | grep flags
igb0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
igb1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
cxgb0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
ifconfig cxgb0 1.1.1.1/24
Code:
ifconfig bridge666 | grep member
        member: cxgb0 flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>
ifconfig bridge666 deletadm cxgb0

[/code]
any of those should get you back to the webui being available at 1.1.1.1/24

CBlack

Dabbler
this is not easy because they literally built a "Test network function" that prevents locking yourself out......which you seem to have decided to bypass by rebooting it immediately instead? there is no "network reset because of that, I assume.

as you haven't posted your hardware [a forum requirement] I have no idea what or how many NICs you have to work with, but just bringing the bridge down isn't going to help, because then the network would just be down, which is where you already are.

anyway. you need to either assign that bridge an IP or remove whatever interfaces you added to it.

this became a challenge and I started looking for CLI delete bridge and.....wow. that was annoying. and then so simple, because it's destroy not delete..

Code:
Code:
ifconfig bridge666 remove
ifconfig | grep flags
igb0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
igb1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
cxgb0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
ifconfig cxgb0 1.1.1.1/24
Code:
ifconfig bridge666 | grep member
        member: cxgb0 flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>
ifconfig bridge666 deletadm cxgb0

[/code]
any of those should get you back to the webui being available at 1.1.1.1/24
thank you! I will get the spec updated.

I was following an older simple youtube video, I have some disablities that make reading correctly and in order problematic at best. I will slowly work through these instructions above. Thank you very much for giving a guide!