Local ZFS replication task

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSmoker

Patron
I have managed to do remote replication tasks... BUT it seems I cannot figure out how to do some LOCAL replication tasks.
Why? I have 2 x 3TB local usb3 disks that I want to use as backup drives for my local datasets.

Thanks and regards!

TheSmoker

Patron
No one has any insightfull thoughts on the topic?
Also I would prefer to have it as a job and properly configured in the WebGUI.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dusan

Guru
Just set the Remote Hostname to localhost. Paste the ZFS Replication Public Key to root's SSH Public Key and don't forget to also setup snapshots.
My setup is very similar. I have one RAIDZ2 pool and one single device pool. The most important datasets on the RAIDZ2 pool are snapshoted and replicated daily to the backup pool. The backup drive is in a removable tray and I rotate (monthly) two physical drives for an offsite backup.
I set up everything as described in the documentation and it worked. I have no idea why it does not work for you. Any error messages?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, There's not much to go on here. You provided no hardware, no software version, no error messages, no nothing. You just said "its broke". Can you provide more information?

TheSmoker

Patron
Just set the Remote Hostname to localhost. Paste the ZFS Replication Public Key to root's SSH Public Key and don't forget to also setup snapshots.
My setup is very similar. I have one RAIDZ2 pool and one single device pool. The most important datasets on the RAIDZ2 pool are snapshoted and replicated daily to the backup pool. The backup drive is in a removable tray and I rotate (monthly) two physical drives for an offsite backup.
I set up everything as described in the documentation and it worked. I have no idea why it does not work for you. Any error messages?

Thanks Dusan. It seems it was an issue with the ssh keys. Now it's working.

TheSmoker

Patron
Well, your post is nothing more than "my car won't start.. why?". That's nothing to go on. You provided no hardware, no software version, no error messages, no nothing. You just said "its broke". I can't fix it with that little knowledge, and since I see so many of these every day I don't bother to respond if you can't be inconvenienced with providing the info requested for in the FreeNAS forum rules.

Sorry

FreeNAS 9.1.1 on AMD quad core @ 3.6GHz, 32Gb Ram (no ECC, pun intended ;) ) running 1 raidz2 with 6 2Tb wd greens and 1 raidz1 with 3 2Tb Wd grreens.

2 usb3 3Tb seagate drives for external backup.

TheSmoker

Patron
Dusan, cyberjock is there any other way to do this other than passing the traffic through ssh/sshd?
I have now (during replication tasks) 2 cpu cores loaded 100% for as long as the replication tasks takes.
Any other workaround this one?

Dusan

Guru
The only option you have in the GUI is to Enable High Speed Ciphers. If you want to get rid of ssh you have to run the replication yourself via cron.

TheSmoker

Patron
The only option you have in the GUI is to Enable High Speed Ciphers. If you want to get rid of ssh you have to run the replication yourself via cron.

Thanks! Already enabled hs ciphers.

1.21gigawatts

Explorer

I have set up a similar system in a VM and it's working fine. I'd be interest to know how you go about mounting, unmounting and remounting the backup drives. I would like to set this up at remote sites and would need to keep it as automated as possible. Any insight you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Though I've seen recommendations against it, I'm not sure why the backup drive couldn't be USB, or I could just as easily use a hot-swap SATA bay.

Dusan

Guru
I have set up a similar system in a VM and it's working fine. I'd be interest to know how you go about mounting, unmounting and remounting the backup drives. I would like to set this up at remote sites and would need to keep it as automated as possible. Any insight you could give would be greatly appreciated.
I use the GUI. I Detach the volume before I swap the drives and Auto Import the "new" volume. You will lose some settings doing this, see this thread for details: Please validate my backup plan: Rotating offsite backup disks, from single FreeNAS primary storage
Though I've seen recommendations against it, I'm not sure why the backup drive couldn't be USB, or I could just as easily use a hot-swap SATA bay.
I use a hot-swap SATA bay, but as this is a home server I always shutdown the box.

Soloam

Contributor
Nice solution!

Last edited:

Durandal

Explorer
Thanks a lot for the information Dusan, worked perfectly for me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.