Replication task stopped with no error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlazeStar

Patron
Hi,

Running 9.2.1.9

I have two replication tasks, one local and one remote : http://cl.ly/image/1S2S0p0P0y2e

The local replication's target is a different local volume called BACKUP, which is on a different HDD.
It's my local backup.

The remote replication's target is a volume called REMOTE-BACKUP, which is on a different machine, with FreeNAS 9.2.1.9 installed.

The remote replication is new, I am in the final step of setting up a remote FreeNAS server, dedicated to receiving those replications.

When I set up the new remote replication task, it did one successful replication, then stopped.

Since then, on every snapshot, the first (local) replication runs and succeeds (just like before)

The second (remote) replication just doesn't do anything, doesn't display error messages, no status or any message at all... it's just dead.

I believe it ran once, when it was set up, then it just fell asleep.

Here's the config of the second (remote) replication task : http://cl.ly/image/2A1r2f3z2f1F

mpfusion

Contributor
In do not believe that it is currently supported to replicate one dataset to more than one host. Bug #5368 seems to back this up. The reason is probably that the replication state is stored in “freenas:state” which can only hold the value for a single host.

BlazeStar

Patron
Is there a known workaround to do this ?

Or a command that could manually do this and perhaps be set as cron job for that ?

Is it possible to somehow just ignore the snapshot flag (or state) and replicate recursively anyway ?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
FreeNAS cannot do replication to more than 1 destination, nor can you do one source to one destination that is itself a source to another destination.

You *can* do that from the CLI, but you are totally on your own to set that up as that is definitely an advanced setup and would require you to have detailed knowledge of your exact setup. All you do is setup your snapshots from the WebGUI and then script up the zfs replication and trigger it either via cronjob or via manually invoking it.

BlazeStar

Patron
I'm not sure I want to go into messing up with that... I'd like to keep my FreeNAS installation free of weird modifications... and I try to do as much as possible from the GUI.

But it really does suck that you can't do replication to more than 1 destination... because everywhere the insist how much backup is important...

So I have one local (in the same machine) separate HDD + volume to do local replication.

And I have a remote machine with FreeNAS to do remote replication.

Now I guess I have to sacrifice one of these two replications...

And replace it with a simple RSYNC or something, which will ignore the snapshot but at least copy the data.

Status
Not open for further replies.