linux VS freenas

Status
Not open for further replies.

moltra

Dabbler
I am currently running Ubuntu 11.10 on and old athlon computer. I am mainly using the computer to run Serviio and as a network drives. I know right now with Ubuntu, it takes around 2-3 minutes for my windows 7 machine to open up the drive and show the directory of the drive I store all my videos on. I am guessing that there is 500 total video files and about 200 audio files.

I also have to relog into the shared drive about every 2-3 days.

Would I have better response using freenas? Instead of Ubuntu 11.10?

I think that the computer has 2 gig of memory and the storage drive is a 1TB drive. The OS drive is a 80 GB drive.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
No, stay with linux

EDIT: I mean, with FreeNAS you cannot install serviio yet, you have to wait for the plugins system in 8.2

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Linux and FreeNAS both use the same thing (Samba) to provide Windows with access to your files. You would be just as well off figuring out what the hangup in your setup is. Are you maybe having it generate thumbnails of everything and not caching them? You're not likely to get substantially better joy with FreeNAS until you understand the nature of the problem, and once you do understand it, then you can probably fix it under Linux too.

moltra

Dabbler
Any Idea where to start to find the problem? I know a little about linux, enough to make any required changes. But not enough to know where to look. I will do a google search on how to set up samba and see if I can find anything.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You need to quantify what's going on. Start by running something simple like "top" and watching what happens during those two or three minutes. Is your processor maxed out? Is there high interrupt loading? top can give you clues.

From there, you can look at the amount of I/O and network traffic that's going on. Is your system transferring dozens or hundreds of megabits of data when this happens? For just a directory listing? There's a lot to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.