BUILD LEGO Themed ASRock C2550D4I Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanallan

Dabbler
This HTPC/server project became a necessity a couple months ago when my existing home server started showing signs of wear. The old server had become too slow and too limited in capacity. The plan was to build new and combine my existing HTPC into the same enclosure. Where to go, where to go? Oh I know, LEGO!
The project had two goals. The first, obviously, was to look cool. The second was to have enough room for both the new server as well as my existing HTPC. Both PC’s would be mini ITX sized (17cm x 17cm) and my entertainment bench cubbyhole (where the server would end up sitting) was 18cm high. Perfect, I thought; the motherboards could be positioned vertically to fit within the space.

For reference, here are the various sizes of motherboards on the market.

The concept for the server/HTPC enclosure was an 18cm square box that would contain all the parts. This included two mini ITX motherboards, their respective drives, their power supplies, and a cooling fan. A tall order to fit inside an 18cm cube.
The server would have an ASRock c2550d4i motherboard powered by an Intel Avoton C2550 Quad-Core processor, with 16GB of memory and three 4TB WD Red HDD’s. I chose the processor because of its high-powered performance and its low power consumption: only 14 watts under full load.

ASRock c2550d4i motherboard for new server
In terms of software, the server would run the FreeNAS OS and the HDD’s would be configured in a ZFS array. Three drives would be run in a ZFS-1 array, and a stretch goal of four drives (space permitting) would allow a ZFS-2 array. The ZFS-2 configuration provides double redundancy or failure protection for two HDD’s, where the ZFS-1 would only provide protection for one HDD. Let’s see how much space we have and decide on the configuration later.
The HTPC would be a carryover from my previous XBMC project.

XBMC project case

XBMC project hardware
The power supplies would be PicoPSU, which were the slimmest-profile bricks I could find. While the PicoPSU is a standard brick power supply that has an ITX-style power harness, it didn’t come any bigger than 160W. By my calculations, the server would consume no more than 140W under full load and the HTPC would consumer no more than 70-80W under full load, so I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best.

PicoPSU power supply

Building the Enclosure:
Once I knew my hardware specs, it was time to design my enclosure with Lego. I chose a 25cm x 25cm LEGO base-plate for the foundation of my structure.

The first Lego configuration had the four drives stacked on top of each other (left in photo) and the motherboards standing on their side (right in photo). The remaining space (at front of photo) was reserved for the two power supplies and cables.

This concept was abandoned early on as the tower structure for the drives had no stability and could not handle the weight of three HDD’s and one SSD.
The second iteration of the enclosure saw the drives arranged vertically (right of photo), the motherboards standing on their sides (left of photo), and the power supplies stacked in the remaining space (back of photo).

At this point, I made a decision to add another HDD to the server so that I would have at total of four 4TB HDDs. Since space within the enclosure was at a premium, I decided to mount the power supplies externally to make room.
The final concept for the enclosure had a similar configuration as before, with the drives aligned vertically on half of my platform and the motherboards perpendicular to the drives. This allowed me to have four HDD’s, one SSD, two motherboards AND a cooling fan built into the front wall of the case (back of photo).

This concept was built up to this point where the parts could be test fitted. Not wanting to spend another evening ripping apart the previous night’s work, we made sure all the hardware would fit. And sure enough, it did!
We needed to mount the motherboards to back-plates so that they could be mounted into the enclosure. As seen in the photo above, the mounted motherboards would slide into their respective grooves, and the space would be cooled by the fan mounted on the front. And as we had some spare LEGO, we dressed up the motherboard back-plates.

Next up was to mount the drives. Knowing that the HTPC’s SSD was smaller than the server’s HDD’s, we made its compartment smaller. It would be mounted in the first slot followed by the 4 HDD’s.

Here she is, all wired up and running:

First Run Heat Issues:
The server was initially intended to run without any fans. The CPU is/was low power and comes with a fan-less heat-sink, and the HDD’s are pretty much out in the open. Perfect, I thought, lets get this show on the road. Upon first power up it was apparent this was going to be an issue. The CPU slowly started to rise up to its 80C alarm limit, and the HDD’s quickly shot up to 47C. Ideally, the CPU should be in the mid 30′s and the HDD’s should be under 40C.
To fix the issue, the main fan was connected to the server’s motherboard. Straightforward right? nope… The motherboard is only setup to control 4-pin PWN fans, and thus blasts the fans with a constant +12V. The 3-pin fan shot right up to 3000 RPM. To lower the speed and noise, I installed a resistor inline with the fan’s power lead. This drooped the voltage to the fan to where it now sits at a nice quiet 1000 RPM. The CPU now runs around the 35C mark.
The HDD’s presented more of a challenge as the case was designed to be fan-less. I had some 40mm fan lying around, and again luckily for me, they were a perfect fit into the existing ventilation gaps. The fans were all connected to the server’s motherboard. Straightforward right? nope… The motherboard is only setup to control 4-pin PWN fans, and thus blasts the fans with a constant +12V. The 3-pin 3-pin fan shot right up to 4000 RPM. To lower the speed and noise, I connected the fans to the +5V rail off the power supply. They now run at a nice quiet 1000 RPM. The HDD’s now run around the 37C mark.
Google has published a really nice white paper on HDD failure analysis. The paper focuses on consumer grade HDD’s and operating conditions effecting their longevity. http://research.google.com/pubs/pub32774.html. This is where I’m getting my temperature target of under 40C from.

Total System Power Consumption:
During boot, the system consumes around 80W. After settling down, the system draws a steady 43W. Documentation says the HDD’s consume about 15W each during boot, and 5W each once running. This leaves the CPU /motherboard/RAM at around 20W.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I've seriously thought about doing this. Are the hard drives staying below 40C? What's the temp?

ryanallan

Dabbler
In my config, they idle around 38C and get up to 40/41C under load.
I really only have one 40mm fan blowing at each drive though, two fans blowing at the 4th drive.
They are all daisy-chained to the power supply's 5V rail, which spins them at 1000 RPM.
I'm considering upping the count to two fans per drive.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah.. there's no doubt they go higher than 41C when doing a scrub... ;) Typical temp increase when doing scrub is 3-10C. I seriously doubt you're going to be at the lower end with those fans.

beemaster

Dabbler
Wow amazing case :) So cool. I'm a big fan of LEGO. Thank you for sharing this!
Btw where did you get those textile SATA cables?

Grymok

Dabbler
Beautiful work!.

Only the imagination sets the limits, and the amounts of bricks ;).
Could be cool to build such one for 8-12 harddrives with the same MB :)

Btw how does the MB performs with transfers, streaming and transcoding?:).
Thinking to get one of these MBs :)

ryanallan

Dabbler
Wow amazing case :) So cool. I'm a big fan of LEGO. Thank you for sharing this!
Btw where did you get those textile SATA cables?
It's one cable with 4 sata drops. Perfect for this build!
http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/premium-modding/alchemy-cables/

Beautiful work!.
Only the imagination sets the limits, and the amounts of bricks ;).
Could be cool to build such one for 8-12 harddrives with the same MB :)
Btw how does the MB performs with transfers, streaming and transcoding?:).
Thinking to get one of these MBs :)

That would be a lot of Lego haha.
I'm really liking the MB. From my Windows PC I can write to the NAS around 100MB/s.
It hasent given me any issues streaming to my PC or the HTPC.
The IPMI is nice too. Everything just works. You'd think it was an Apple product.

Grymok

Dabbler
Ha ha Ryan, I don't hope that I don't have any love with Apple :-D
But sounds good you like it, and it got plenty of performance :smile:

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

ryanallan

Dabbler
--- An update to the build ---

More Heat Issues:
Although elegant and simple, the above solution did not work as planned. In trying to the make most of that situation, I ended up installing a total of seven 40mm fans into the gaps shown above. And while they did lower the drive's temperatures, they just weren't able to keep them below 40C. They would idle at 37C or so, but on a warm day or under load they had no trouble getting up to 40C / 41C.

Enter solution #2. The 40mm fans were originally connected to the power supply's 5V rail in hopes that 5V would spin the fans slowly and quietly. And it did just that. They were very quiet, but ultimately ineffective. This solution was to connect them to the 12V rail in hopes that a faster fan speed would provide extra cooling. All this really did was increase the noise they produced. No noticeable change in temperature. If I had to guess why, it would be the fans' location. They were just circulating hot air.

Enter solution #3. The 40mm fans were removed altogether. Replaced by two 120mm fans sitting external to the enclosure. This would allow them to blow cool air at the drives, and move more air than seven 40mm fans ever could.
The 40mm fans are spec'd to move about 4cfm air. Multiply that by seven and the total volume of air they were able to move was 28cfm. Now looking at the 120mm fans, they are spec'd to move about 43cfm of air each, and I have two of them, producing a total of 86cfm or about 3x the volume. I know, I know, ugly Noctua brown. But they're what I had lying around...

Case in point:
Without any fans the drives would idle at 47C.
With four 40mm fans @ 5V the drives would idle at 38C.
With seven 40mm fans @ 5V & 12V, the drives would idle at 37C.
With two 120mm fans, the drives now idle at a cool 28C.

DSC00266_.jpg

DSC00267_.jpg

wintermute000

Explorer
Thanks for the interesting build log. i'm using the same mobo so interested in your temps/power.

In a Fractal Design Define R2- 4 fans, 2 of which blow directly on the drive caddies - I'm getting CPU idle of around 41 degrees C with ambient around 20. Not ideal but OK I suppose given its completely passive.

ryanallan

Dabbler
Thanks, glad it helped!

I'd say your temps are fine. Considering that the CPU has a thermal limit of 80C, 40C is about right.

wintermute000

Explorer
I'm more worried about my drives. The way the case is, although there are two fans in the front, there is a 'dead spot' created by the way the caddies are laid out, so basically whilst half my drives idle in mid 30s, the other half idle @ 40-41.
Not a lot i can do except for maybe move drives around (move cool SSDs into the dead spot) or mod another fan into the case.

wintermute000

Explorer
Also my idle draw is 70 with six spinning drives and two ssd. I suspect it's because they're 7200 hgst

Strobbeuh

Cadet
This looks soooo nice, great job man!

I had seen you XBMC work before, this lego just tops that!

Every excuse to play with lego's at any age is acceptable :p

Z300M

Guru
Also my idle draw is 70 with six spinning drives and two ssd. I suspect it's because they're 7200 hgst
It looks cool if you're really into Lego, but hold a portable AM radio next to it and check the interference level. I doubt whether Lego has good radio-frequency shielding properties.

Pharfar

Dabbler
It's a beauty!

Status
Not open for further replies.