BUILD Bought My 1st Server Class mobo today - Made out like a Bandit!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vlad1966

Dabbler
So Psyched about this, I can barely spell correctly. I bought a Super Micro X10SLM-F mobo today @ my local Micro Center for $99!!! LOL!!! It was the last one they had left. NewEgg is selling these for $180.

I've been wanting to build myself a "Real" FreeNas server for the longest time, with ECC RAM & now it's finally going to happen. I've had a couple of FreeNAS server previously that I built with "Consumer-Level" motherboards without ECC. I've never had any problems that I noticed, but I've finally decided to get for the peace-of-mind of ECC.

I tried buying the rest of the hardware today at Micro Center, but they were having a problem grabbing the funds from my PayPal debit card, so I have to go back tomorrow to buy the rest of the hardware. This is what I'll be getting, but I'm open to suggestions on other hardware as long as it’s available at the Westmont, IL Micro Center:

- CPU: Core i3-4150 (wanted a Core i3-4350 but they ran out of stock) $109.99
- RAM: Crucial CT2KIT102472BD160B Server Memory 16GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL11 ECC Server Module Kit (Two 8GB Memory Modules) $189.99
- HSF: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Universal CPU Cooler $36.99
- PSU: Corsair CS650M 80 Plus SEMIMOD ATX PSU $99.99
- Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Mid Tower ATX Computer Case - Black Pearl $99.99
- HDD’s: (2) Toshiba 3TB 7,200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive PH3300U-1I72 $119.99 each

I already have (2) of these 3TB Toshiba HDD’s plus (2) 4TB HGST 7200 RPM drives. I could use some advice on how to set up my storage. I’ll have (4) 3TB & (2) 4TB drives. I’m more concerned with safety/redundancy than speed.

I wouldn’t mind trying to save at least $60 somewhere, but I like the case for it’s upgradability & quiet, and I do also need the (2) hard drives.

I’ll be running the latest version of FreeNAS & most likely ZFS. This will be a file/media server. I'll be running Plex Server on it as well.

Appreciate any suggestions & Thanks in advance.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That sounds like an insanely good deal.

My advice:

You'll want a better PSU. A Seasonic G-450 or G-550 would be a much better choice, both in build and power quality. You might get a better deal, too (450W should be plenty for 6 7200RPM drives).

7200RPM drives can cause nasty thermal problems, so be sure to keep an eye on their teperatures and be ready to add cooling if the need arises.

If the CPU is a regular boxed one, there's no need to get the Hyper 212, the stock cooler is fine.

malcolmputer

Explorer
So Psyched about this, I can barely spell correctly. I bought a Super Micro X10SLM-F mobo today @ my local Micro Center for $99!!! LOL!!! It was the last one they had left. NewEgg is selling these for $180.

Awesome, I just checked and my MicroCenter has one too (for $99), but I can't use it because I have 18 drives, and it only has 1 PCIe. Thanks for the heads up though.

I already have (2) of these 3TB Toshiba HDD’s plus (2) 4TB HGST 7200 RPM drives. I could use some advice on how to set up my storage. I’ll have (4) 3TB & (2) 4TB drives. I’m more concerned with safety/redundancy than speed.

I’ll be running the latest version of FreeNAS & most likely ZFS. This will be a file/media server. I'll be running Plex Server on it as well.

Appreciate any suggestions & Thanks in advance.

If I was you, I would try and find 5400 RPM drives as Ericloewe said, the heat from the 7200 RPM will be more than you want. I guess since you already have 4 of them, having 2 more won't kill you though.

When it comes to putting them in a ZFS, I would go ahead with Z2, with all 6 drives. You will lose the extra 2 TBs (one from each 4TB), but it will be the best redundancy/safety setup, and if you run out of space you can always upgrade the 4 x 3TB drives and then tell ZFS to expand the array.

Edit: Oops, I can't read, it only has 1 x16 slot. Looks like it has 2 x8's also... Hmm...

ser_rhaegar

Patron
Edit: Oops, I can't read, it only has 1 x16 slot. Looks like it has 2 x8's also... Hmm...
It has 2 x8 3.0 slots (1 is slotted for x16 but wired for x8).
The other slot is x4 2.0 but slotted for x8.

The LSI adapters will run in a slot as low as x4 2.0 wired. So that motherboard can fit up to 3 cards in it if needed. However the bottom slot will downgrade the card to x4 which shouldn't be an issue unless you're using 8 SSDs on the card.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Awesome, I just checked and my MicroCenter has one too (for $99), but I can't use it because I have 18 drives, and it only has 1 PCIe. Thanks for the heads up though.

You can just get an SAS expander (the popular Intel one, whose model number I don't recall at the moment, works very well according to those who have one). The whole package is still cheaper than a motherboard and two M1015s in most cases (or a motherboard with LSI 2308 plus an M1015).

diedrichg

Wizard
Some of those parts seem overpriced even for microcenter. Go check out pcpartpicker.com. it won't have some of the server grade parts but it'll list most of your parts and where to buy them the cheapest.

ser_rhaegar

Patron
Some of those parts seem overpriced even for microcenter. Go check out pcpartpicker.com. it won't have some of the server grade parts but it'll list most of your parts and where to buy them the cheapest.
They will price match other sites like Newegg or Best Buy if you can find the parts cheaper. Just not Amazon or other online only sites.

diedrichg

Wizard
Just from memory; the hyper 212 seems a bit overpriced.

Status
Not open for further replies.