LAN Latency when FreeNAS is connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekel

Cadet
Hi

I was having this issue for a while and after much investigation it ended up to be FreeNAS.
When I ping my default GW from one of my Local Machines I normally get about 2ms.

I noticed that once every 20 pings or so a few pings are timing out and coming back with 2 to 3 sec and then goes back to normal!

What I did so far:
1. Replaced all cables.
2. Replaced the switch.
3. disconnected FreeNAS from the network.

Only step 3 seems to solve the issue.
I also setup static IP to my FreeNAS to see if that will fix the issue but it didnt.

Which logs can I check to view what might be causing it?
Could it be that FreeNAS is somewhat flooding my network?

Thanks for any help.

Dekel

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm guessing you have some kind of loop where packets are getting stick in a loop or something like that.

FreeNAS shouldn't be flooding your network. But you could definitely make it flood your network if you really wanted to.

You gave no hardware or software as requested by the forum rules so I can't help any more.

Robert Smith

Patron
On the FreeNAS, check that NTP is configured correctly. If not, fix it, or turn it off.

On the FreeNAS, try turning the CIFS service off (and other sharing services, one at a time), and see if that changes anything.

On the FreeNAS, try setting the gateway to your router’s LAN address. See if things change. Afterwards delete the gateway address again (for security reasons).

Put something like Wireshark on one of the computers connected to the network, and sniff the traffic. Maybe you have a broadcast storm or something…

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.