FreeNAS VM slow ping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickinfl

Contributor
Hi, I setup a VM in FreeNAS of Ubuntu 17.10 Server and logging into it is sluggish via ssh. I also have a ESXI box running with another Ubuntu Server on it. I can ping both servers the ESXI pings perfect steady pings. The FreeNAS pings but pauses then pings a few then pauses. When I ssh into it I put in my password and it takes a few seconds for it to go to prompt sometimes like 15 or 20 seconds. Not sure what's going on but it definitely in FreeNAS somewhere. The VM in FreeNAS has 2 procs and 4 gig of ram. I tried both Nics no change.

Not sure which way to go on fixing this or if its a known issue.

Thanks,
Rick

Nick2253

Wizard
When you say "sluggish", I take that to mean that every command takes a while to run. But it doesn't sound like that's exactly what's going on.

Most of the time, when it takes a while for SSH or ping to respond, it's because the server's hostname has not been properly set up in your DNS server. Can you verify that this has been done?

Rickinfl

Contributor
I figured it out. I have a Tyan S7012 motherboard with 4 Nics built into it. I load balanced all 4 of them in FreeNAS. Not sure if that's an issue or not because I can ping the FreeNAS box without and issues. The VM was attached to those nics and it was having the issue. So I installed another Nic just to test. I attached the VM to that 1 nic and issue solved! Works perfect, pings perfect no more pausing. So now it's trouble shooting time.

Either it's the 4 onboard nics which I don't believe is the issues because FreeNAS works perfect. Or it's the Load Balancing on those nics that's the issue. I'll have to do more research, but adding another nic and attaching it to the VM works perfect all my issues are gone.

I'm attaching a picture of what was going on. The Left ping was the FreeNAS box, the Right ping is the VM on that FreeNAS box just crazy ping rates. The only thing you can't see in the picture is the pauses... It would ping about 5 or 6 times then pause for about 3 or 4 seconds then continue on, but you can see by the ping where the pauses where.

Attachments

• ping.jpg
    ping.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.