LACP lagg on HP Gen8 Microserver anyone achieved this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gjbth

Cadet
Hello everyone, first post on these forum's and in fact I am very new to FreeNAS having installed it for the first time about three days ago.

I bought another HP Gen 8 Microserver specially to install FreeNAS. It is the 1610t model, equipped with 16gb Kingston ECC ram. At the moment I have 4 Seagate 2tb hard drives fitted, these are just consumer models I pulled from a redundant desktop system. I will replace these when testing is completed. I have FreeNAS
FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201605021851 (35c85f7) installed to a HP 16gb flash drive fitted in the internal usb port.

Over the past three days I have studied numerous forum posts and the FreeNAS documentation and just about understand how to get the system set-up to my liking, except for one thing. I am having problems configuring an LACP lagg or indeed any type of lagg using the two onboard Broadcom NIC. If I try to do this from the web GUI, it just hangs at 'please wait' and I lose network connectivity. refreshing the browser just results in 'This page can't be displayed'

I have also tried to configure the lagg from the console, where its seems that the lagg is in fact created. I just lose network connectivity and the only way to restore it is by deleting the lagg using the console.

Has anyone here configured a working lagg on a HP Gen 8 Microserver using the onboard nic's and if so would you be so kind as to detail how you achieved it.

I am using a Neater GS 24 v4 switch which can be configured to support LACP link aggregation.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So your lagg/lacp should work, but it takes about 90 seconds for everything to come up. If you're waiting long enough and it doesn't work, try a reboot of the server. If that doesn't work, and you are sure the Netgear is properly configured, the only other thing that seems likely is that the broadcom NICs you are using don't support lagg/lacp for some reason with FreeNAS.

But it really is as easy as it sounds.. setup lagg/lacp on your FreeNAS and turn it on from the switch. :P

gjbth

Cadet
Thanks for replying cyberjock. I had tried everything you suggested and can confirm that the switch is correctly configured. I have carried out further tests and found that the problem lies with the first of the two built in ports.
Port 1 can be configured as a lagg on its own, but as soon as I try to add port 0 it falls over. This does not work the other way round port 0 cannot be configured as a lagg on uts own.

Swity

Cadet
I can confirm that lagg/lacp ist generaly working with the HP Microserver using the onboard network ports. I'm running the latest freenas 9.10 version and the switch i'm using is a Linksys LGS308. As i remember, when i configured lacp (with freenas 9.3), i had some problems using the web interface. I used the local console instead.

gjbth

Cadet
That's great news Swity, I still cannot get this to work, even with the local console, and I have tried numerous times.
If you have time and can remember the steps you took to achieve this, I would be very grateful if you could detail them.
Did you have to configure anything in the Microserver Bios to achieve this ?

Swity

Cadet
As is remember, i did't change anything to the bios.
First i configured lacp on the switch side, then i used the console to create the lagg interface "lagg0" (default name).
From then i don't remember what happend next in detail.
But i deleted the interfaces several times because i also hat some problems there!
After several tries, it worked!

gjbth

Cadet
Thanks for the reply Swity, I had already tried by the method you described.
I'll try several more times as you did and see if I have any luck

gjbth

Cadet
Ok, I have finally managed to configure the Lagg . These are the steps I had to do to get it to work.
I configured two ports on the GS724t switch as an LACP lag, connected both nic's of the Microserver to the switch ports.
I used the console to configure the lag, when I was presented with the two built in interfaces to choose from, I had to choose them in reverse order i.e pick port 2 first then return and pick port 1, then quit
a working Lagg was then correctly created.

However if I selected the ports in the natural order, i.e port 1 then port 2, the Lagg creation failed every time.

Anyway everything seems to be working fine now. hope that information can b e of use for anyone trying to configure a HP Microserver

Status
Not open for further replies.